Windows 7 updates

I've been experiencing update problems since yesterday, when installing some of the updates. It does them fine but when I reboot, the system comes up with an error message "failure to configure updates, reverting changes, please do not turn off your computer". Then I have to wait almost an hour for it to shut down and restart.

There were 121 updates last time, but tonight I've just gone into the control panel and installed the 2 important ones. I don't want to wait hours for an update to install then when I restart the machine I have that error message and have to wait ages. Its done this two days in a row now and I have tried troubleshooting in the control panel with no luck.

Why is it doing this? Can someone help please?

You say you have installed the 2 important ones. Does this mean the rest are optional updates?

It could be an incorrect installation sequence. What sort of machine is it?

Yeah, there were 2 important ones and 8 option ones. But then I went to the control panel - windows updates and it searched 121 critical/important ones, I've manually switched it to do 5 at a time, and even that's taking ages. Would mean rebooting alot of times too.

Its a HP desktop.

These can be like finding a needle in a haystack. With so many outstanding updates I'm betting the installation sequence on one of them is wrong and it's sending everything off course.

Here's a link to Microsoft's suggestions -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

If the number of updates was manageable you'd probably be able to do them 1 at a time until you figured out which one is causing problems, but 121 is way too high for this.

Do you have Service Pack 1 installed on your Win 7?

Yeah, I've just done the first 5 updates and they've installed fine. And error message popped up on the taskbar saying there was some failed ones.

And I've been on that page, and done some of the stuff suggested, to no avail.

I can do the updates across several days can't I? I don't fancy staying up all night to do the rest!

And yes I think I do.

Yup, do them over several days and take a note of the KB numbers as you do each batch. It might help to narrow down which KB is causing the problem.

I've just looked at the update history and some of the security ones have failed. E.g the KB3021952. This was about 20 minutes ago so must've been the one on the reboot.

I haven't seen a System Restore suggestion anywhere, should I not attempt this?

You could attempt a system restore - I'm not sure how well it would work out because even after the restore you're going to have all those updates waiting... possible even more.

No harm in trying it though.

Ok, well just completed the 2nd batch of 5 updates. Waiting on an error message....

I can't diagnose what the actual problem is, and its really annoying me.

I've had the odd update constantly fail in the past but usually you'd know which update it was, and you can then opt to ignore that update in the future.

Right, so those 5 went through ok, 108 updates to go, so something's going to plan.

If its an 'important' update I can't afford to ignore it though can I?

Important updates typically close openings in the operating system that can be exploited. The chances that someone exploits you for the particular opening that you never closed the gap on is probably low but it's always a risk. Personally I don't fret too much about this sort of things, I work in I.T. and haven't ever had a significant issue (touch wood).

Hmm well I always have installed all the updates that have been downloaded, never had 121 before, the first update I did when I first bought the desktop was 700+ but cos it was new it was really fast.

Just installed third batch of 5, gonna reboot and see what happens!!

I installed Windows 7 updates a few days ago and I seem to remember that there were 121 or thereabouts. It surprised me that there were that many! Mine installed without problem however.

Good luck solving your issue.

I had one update fail in that batch - sorry, I don't know which - but it installed just fine on the second attempt. I'd go for broke and install the lot. If that fails, try the five in a batch method.

The last set of updates installed successfully. 103 to go now I think!

I spent 2 whole days trying to install all 121, the machine shut down after but on reboot that's when the error message saying it "failed to configure"

Not doing that again!

Back
Top Bottom