Wilkinson Shaving Soap

Ok from the start I Don't usually use shaving soaps but , this morning I had an atrocious shave using this. I originally bought it 12 months ago when I started off DE shaving and never used it.
I did the first pass and thought hmmm this is shit. Re loaded the brush and thought hmmm this is really shit stuff. Finished off the shave with a cream but the damage was done.
Reacon it's one for the bin?

Yep.

It is by far the worst soap / cream I have ever had the misfortune to use.

When I very first got into traditional wet shaving I bought some of this and it almost caused me to give up, the shaves were so bad, my confidence was shot because I couldn't get a good lather with it and I started to think it was just me. Then I got some TOBS and I realised it was the Wilkinson soap.

I can get really nice, easy lather from MWF, Cella and other soaps and creams, perhaps its the water, but Wilkinson soap bowl is completely waste of time and money in my opinion, even I get a good lather its not slick and protective. I took the soap out the tub and put it in the drawer so the clothes smells nice.

Today I used my cheap Wilkinson boar. It is 10 years old and well broken in. I put hot water on the puck while I shower or wash. I load for at least a minute putting the proto lather on my face and going back to the puck for more and adding water to the brush while loading. I then face lather adding water until the lather is the consistency Is want. I can also build lather in a bowl basically the same way. The key is to use a brush with good backbone and load a lot of product. Wilkinson is like Williams in a lot of ways, you need to add a lot of water when you are building lather to get it hold. I think for the most part this is another case of cheap soap syndrome. Because it is inexpensive, of it does not lather immediately it is no good.

Re: RE: Wilkinson Shaving Soap

Roderick said:
Today I used my cheap Wilkinson boar. It is 10 years old and well broken in. I put hot water on the puck while I shower or wash. I load for at least a minute putting the proto lather on my face and going back to the puck for more and adding water to the brush while loading. I then face lather adding water until the lather is the consistency Is want. I can also build lather in a bowl basically the same way. The key is to use a brush with good backbone and load a lot of product. Wilkinson is like Williams in a lot of ways, you need to add a lot of water when you are building lather to get it hold. I think for the most part this is another case of cheap soap syndrome. Because it is inexpensive, of it does not lather immediately it is no good.
You said what I didn't want to say fearing flaming, I have this soap and the infamous Erasmic stick and with some work and water I get proper creamy lather from either.
The scent tho is a bit pish tbh.

Not sure what's all the fuss personally, I always got consistent creamy lather from the Wilkibowl.
It is rare for me not to get good shaving lather from most products, the best brush for this soap I found is the wee Body Shop synth as it's got tons of backbone which is what this soap needs most.

Re: RE: Wilkinson Shaving Soap

Shemen Zait said:
Roderick said:
You said what I didn't want to say fearing flaming, I have this soap and the infamous Erasmic stick and with some work and water I get proper creamy lather from either.
The scent tho is a bit pish tbh.

Not sure what's all the fuss personally, I always got consistent creamy lather from the Wilkibowl.
It is rare for me not to get good shaving lather from most products, the best brush for this soap I found is the wee Body Shop synth as it's got tons of backbone which is what this soap needs most.
+1

I've used the Wilki bowl regularly over the years and don't have any problems with it.

No idea why so many people struggle with it.

Is it the best soap ? Nope, is it perfectly usable ? Yep.

Back
Top Bottom