Wilkinson SE blades

Now I've seen cartridges, DE blades, hone/wedge blades...but I don't think I've ever seen Wilkinson SE blades before...or have I maybe just not been paying attention...

Does anyone have any experience with these?

2e333ua.jpg

2h2gknp.jpg

Greetings

I have never used them but I know a little about them, I think you will find that they were designed for the Wilkinson Empire razors and the other slightly different models but the ones that took the same blades as the Empire (ie not the Pall Mall Sets) which took a different sized blade.

The Empire razors were designed for and were supplied with hollow ground 'wedge' type blades and a stropper, I surmise that Wilkinson made these disposable blades as an alternative.

They are certainly not very common and that is the first packet of them I have ever seen, you occasionally see the odd rusty knackered one with an Empire set. Most people who have an Empire set ( including me) modify a modern GEM blade to fit, it is a bit of a bodge but it works, the original wedge blades are a real bugger to hone and strop.

Regards
Dick.
Having just said all of that they do not look long enough and the blade looks too deep like a modern (or old) GEM, Wilkinson did make disposable SE blades for their Empire sets, could you perhaps photograph one next to a standard GEM SE blade?

Aye ........ I have a couple of Wilko sets with the 'disposable' blades ...... They stand out a mile as they have the bulbous spine, designed to fit where those thicker hollow ground blades went .......

Back
Top Bottom