Wilkinson Empire

Hi all, well the SE obsession continues and has bought the Wilkinson Empire into my sights! Has anyone got any experience of how they shave and how easy it is to sort blades for them?

I have had a number through my hands and have kept two: an early one and a very late one.

I use de-spined GEM blades in them. Getting the mini-wedges is hard, getting someone to hone them is harder and maintaining them is even harder. The GEM fits just perfectly with the spine removed - a happy coincidence on size. You also need to crack off the back corners of the blade for some models of the Empire.

Cleaning one up is a challenge and the do like a good soap since the insides can get caked in old soap. Ensure the front roller is intact - cracked ones can nip hair as you shave.

The shave itself is good. Not as good as a 1912, but good nevertheless.

My favourite is actually the very late one with a solid runner bar:

DSC05822.JPG

If you enjoy the Wilko, get a Valet, too. The VC1 is a great shave, the VC4 (solid runner bar) excellent.

Thanks Paul.

Well I got me one of them there Wilkinson Empire shaver thingies!!!

Don't suppose anyone know what model it is??

Oh and I have a Valet VC1 on it's way!

pjgh said:
I'm pretty sure it's a W15 - it's an Empire, anyway.

Good catch! It looks in good condition - did you get a box with it? Any issues slipping a blade in?

Cheers. Yep it came with the box, blade container, strop and holder :) I've managed to strip it down and give it a very good clean and polish, getting the spring that sits below the blade carrier back in is a bit of a pain though! And no, no issues with any blade slippage......you've made me nervous now!!

You didn't read my warnings about stripping it down, then? :D

Yeah, what a faff! I'm sure folks in the factory put these together in seconds and maybe had a special tool. Was the inside caked with soap? It's worth doing, but if you were like me and the thing fell apart in my hands, it took some time to figure out which bit went where and I had another one alongside (not pulled apart) for reference.

By "slipping" I simply meant "inserting" ... not that it will slip around; it won't, so don't be nervous.

pjgh said:
You didn't read my warnings about stripping it down, then? :D

Yeah, what a faff! I'm sure folks in the factory put these together in seconds and maybe had a special tool. Was the inside caked with soap? It's worth doing, but if you were like me and the thing fell apart in my hands, it took some time to figure out which bit went where and I had another one alongside (not pulled apart) for reference.

By "slipping" I simply meant "inserting" ... not that it will slip around; it won't, so don't be nervous.

No I obviously managed to ignore that bit of advice!

Yep there was a fair amount of soap, all nice and clean now, can't get the front roller free enough to spin though, never mind, it still shaves nice. As you said not up to 1912 standards (what makes those so dam good?), but close and enjoyable :)

OK my blade fears are dissipating!!

Back
Top Bottom