Wifi to Cable adapter?

Son has an Xbox in his room which he wants to connect to the net, it has an RJ45 socket but no wifi built in and cabling would be an pain. MS do an adapter for about £70 but it strikes me there might be a generic solution kind of a reverse of an access point.

Is there such a bit of kit? If so what's it called and would it be cheaper as he's trying to save up for it himself?

Probably easiest to get a home plug system. This enables you to run Ethernet around your ring main.

You plug one in by your router and connect it your router by cable, then plug the other in near the Xbox and connect that by cable.

Something like this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DHP-307AV-PowerLine-Homeplug-Network/dp/B003L78F6U/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1361530558&sr=8-8

I have no personal experience of these though so am unable to recommend a specific one.

Lose the beard said:
Probably easiest to get a home plug system. This enables you to run Ethernet around your ring main.

You plug one in by your router and connect it your router by cable, then plug the other in near the Xbox and connect that by cable.

Something like this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DHP-307AV-PowerLine-Homeplug-Network/dp/B003L78F6U/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1361530558&sr=8-8

I have no personal experience of these though so am unable to recommend a specific one.

I have one to get the BT vision to the master bedroom, we are in a three story house and it works a treat. No doubt it's a better option than wireless anyway.

If you go the Homeplug route make sure you buy EU type-approved ones (otherwise you risk becoming the subject of an OFCOM interference probe...). BT famously sent out a load that weren't which also wiped 2-3Mbit off the ADSL into the houses in question (and their neighbours).

Otherwise there are devices like this - https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/2531070440755162955 or http://www.maplin.co.uk/netgear-universal-wi-fi-adaptor-475112 - which do exactly what you're after. I might have something similar you/he can have for nowt - although it also might have gone to the tip... I shall take a look in the "box of doom" and let you know if I do still have it.

Or I've used this to connect my BlueRay player to our wireless network (rather than the Sony £80 dongle) for a couple of years.

TP-Link TL-WA701ND

£21 posted. Only problem I've ever had was it occasionally needed rebooting to pick up the network properly but it was 3 floors away from the router.

Jeltz said:
Son has an Xbox in his room which he wants to connect to the net, it has an RJ45 socket but no wifi built in and cabling would be an pain. MS do an adapter for about £70 but it strikes me there might be a generic solution kind of a reverse of an access point.

Is there such a bit of kit? If so what's it called and would it be cheaper as he's trying to save up for it himself?

id get on ebay you can pick up used ms wireless adapters for about £25-30....

Thanks all, that TP-Link looks good.

HM, thanks for the offer I'm sure he would be delighted if you still have something :)

It might well be worth looking on the bay as you say, at least then it would be designed to do the job.

Just so happens I have a four (I think - maybe five) plug set of Devolo WLAN adaptors sitting in a box in the attic. Worth quite a bit of dosh to buy new but going cheap-ish right now. I conned myself into buying a faster version when I upgraded my broadband - quite unnecessary.

It's a brilliant sytem and so much faster than wifi for fixed position electronics - there would be an ethernet cable as well as a power cable going to power sockets.

PM me if you are interested.

tp-link wr702n

It is a small usb powered wireless Router. I've got one connected to a humax freeview recorder so I can watch iplayer and the like on a big screen. You can get them online from currys and PCworld but not in the shops. They're never in stock. For the setup go to the tp-link websit. The instructions are much better.

Jeltz said:
Thanks all, that TP-Link looks good.

HM, thanks for the offer I'm sure he would be delighted if you still have something :)

It might well be worth looking on the bay as you say, at least then it would be designed to do the job.

The MS device is simply the same thing, but crippled to only work with the xBox...

The box of doom has come up blank I'm afraid.

Back
Top Bottom