Wickham Soap Co.

The Bay rum sample I received is great. Just as good as the Razorock Captain Choice Bay rum I have, but far easier to get in the UK. The scent also seems to last longer which is another plus. Am going to get the large tub when my sample runs dry.

What does the Southsea Spray smell like? Anything similar on the market or a description of highs mids & bass notes?
"The Southsea Spray is a modern fresh sea spray scent, that has all the freshness of clean bed sheets and clothing".
Is it a bit like the MWF scent?

I have both, and they are similar but clearly different.

The MWF is an older style scent. While the Southsea is milder, and much more like fresh laundry.
I guess MWF smells like laundry did as a kid, Southsea smells like laundry now.

Clear as mud???

I just ordered two samples of this soap after watching Ant Smith's and some other reviews on YouTube. Can't wait to try them, I think they're my first shaving related purchases this year!

That sounds like an intriguing description of the Southsea scent cruciate, I think this will be the first of the two I'll try, the other being lavender.

Cheers

B

Received my samples of Bay Rum and Garden Mint Super Smooth the other day and have just finished trying them out, here are my thoughts:

The Super Smooth lather I must say is like no other soap. I put an almond-sized chunk of the soap in my bowl and lathered up. This soap starts off thin and fizzy but very quickly turns really thick and creamy and ended up quite thirsty by the time I'd got the density right. Mountains of lather. Second time around I went down to pea-sized chunk; you don't need a lot of this soap.
I prefer the SS to the Master Lather I trialled previously because it isn't not as heavy duty as the Master. The lather kept its consistency throughout the shave and performed excellently. In fact I had been having a bit of trouble using my Gillette Black Beauty/Sputnik combination previously as it left me a bit sore but this soap seems to have sorted this out for me.

Post-shave, I like the amount of moisturising this soap gives; just a little, enough to prevent your skin from drying out but not over moisturising that your skin feels clogged. For me that's perfect.

The scents: I found the Bay Rum scent really nice and warm but a little too subdued for my liking. I reckon I prefer slightly stronger soap scents than the average guy so for me the scent felt underpowered. That's the only fault I have with the Bay Rum and it might be the deal breaker as to whether I order some more. I'll have to have a few more goes before I decide. The great point of the scent is that it continues in the background right throughout the shave.

The Garden Mint scent was fabulous, authentic and earthy. With this scent I found a lighter strength was more suitable and so I don't have the same reservations as I did with the Bay Rum. In fact, any stronger a mint scent would be too much and interfere with the shaving experience. I also appreciated that there was no menthol which made the scent nice and warm, quite unusual for mint not to have that kick and I found it refreshing in a weirdly backwards way.
This soap I could not find a single fault with, all the boxes ticked. A definite repeat purchase.

Well done Wickham soap company - two splendid soaps there.

Great review Mike. You are quite right, the lather starts off really thin then just explodes- think the Proraso 'croap' on steroids!

Look at this pic, literally just after a 30-40 sec whirl. I think this will be one of my go to soaps from now on.

B

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 47
First shave tonight with Southsea Spray, I love it !!, very nice but not overpowering scent, getting a good lather was a breeze, and it left my skin feeling soft and smoooth, Its a fair bit more expensive than my usual soap (Boots) but it was a nice treat delivered super quick with a handfull of sweets to top it it off...give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

Terry

fancontroller said:
The Garden Mint scent was fabulous, authentic and earthy. With this scent I found a lighter strength was more suitable and so I don't have the same reservations as I did with the Bay Rum. In fact, any stronger a mint scent would be too much and interfere with the shaving experience. I also appreciated that there was no menthol which made the scent nice and warm, quite unusual for mint not to have that kick and I found it refreshing in a weirdly backwards way.
This soap I could not find a single fault with, all the boxes ticked. A definite repeat purchase.

Well done Wickham soap company - two splendid soaps there.

Couldn't agree more on the Garden Mint. The fact that it smells more like spearmint than peppermint only adds to its warmth - a truly great scent!

My thoughts on Wickham's Bay Rum soap sample, I live in a soft water area and the croap lathered very easily & quickly in a scuttle, producing a mass of creamy lather from a 'almond' sized dollop. On the face the first application felt it was drying a touch half way through, but second & third application was great; the glide was excellent and the Bay Rum scent very nice indeed! Now my only gripe was the expense of delivery for a 25g sample being the same as the cost for a full sized tub (£3.65) this makes a shave 68p a go just for soap :icon_cry2: But like to see a cottage start-up succeed.

I received some Cola and some unscented soap in a trade recently and have to say that this soap is a very good product indeed.

I'll certainly be buying more of this in the future and really look forward to trying out the hard soap when it becomes available. :)

Back
Top Bottom