Why use an adjustable

Hiya,

Maybe I can shed some light on adjustable razors and the benefits they offer. I've used a bunch over the years and my go to razor is one of those types.

Man, there are some really beautiful DE razors out there. I'm sure you've seen em , and maybe have tried some yourself. Maybe some of those great looking open comb types, possibly something like something with a NEW Deluxe head or one of those UK made #15 beauties. Or, you might like the look of some razors with the Old Type head.

I mention those types in particular, since they all have something in common for me. I do like the way many of those types look, but there's very few OC types that fit me. There are zero Old Type razors I would ever use again.

The problem is these razors are mostly gonna be too aggressive a shaver for my face. It means no matter how mild a blade used, it's still gonna be a rough and uncomfortable road. Plus, using a much milder blade than usual is sorta defeating the purpose in some way. This discomfort has nothing to do with technique, since the shave is a bloodless and close one. It's just that the blade is waaay too noticeable on my face. Heh, I hate that feeling.

Yes, I love the way some of these models look and feel in my hand, and would use em all IF they were adjustable. If I could dial down that bite and use my normal sharp blade....whew. Sadly, there ain't any of those adjustable open combs or Old Types around to use.

The fatboy type (set on #4) is my go to razor. If that was a fixed head model set on anything higher than 6, I probably wouldn't use the thing very often, if at all. It would be like the Aristocrat and others like that (feels like a 5 setting), brought out for the pleasant change of pace.

Having found the magic number, the resulting fatboy shave is an excellent combination of both closeness and comfort. None of the fixed head types I've tried over the years feels quite like that magical #4.......heh. In my case, the razor is treated as a fixed head type. I know others who will change setting during the shave and it works for them. The adjustable feature can be a great way to tweak things and I'm sorry more razors don't offer this option.

Martin

Why use an adjustable ?????? Well, the Hoffritz / Merkur 11C raises red welts on my sometimes problematic skin, so without a Gillette Slim how else can I am Sean Connery @ 35,000 ft. QED ...... Thus Is It Demonstrated.

JohnnyO. :oops:

My father in law (old school Russian)..told me when I asked him some years ago why he didnt have an adj. razor..his response was "your face adjust to any fixed razors you give it...it's the blade and angle that gives you the random results"

B

joe mcclaine said:
Standing closer to the razor gives as much 'adjustability' as I need.

Trust Vinnie (Not Joe) to remind me of the old Spartan saying;

Spartan youth to mother, "My sword is too short."

Mother to SpartaN youth, "Stand closer to your enemy."

Hard women those Spartan mums.

JohnnyO. :geek:

Back
Top Bottom