Why do I only get nicks from mild razors?

If I shave with an aggressive razor (eg Ever Ready 1914, Micromatic) I can get a great BBS, with no more that a bit of soreness if I go ATG and rush it. However using a mild razor (G bar, Contour) I always seem to nick myself, no matter how careful I am.

The same applies to DE as well, but I'm mainly a SE shaver.

Any ideas why this is?

All things being equal what possible reason could there be other than you are pressing too hard?

I suspect you are trying to mimick the efficiency of your more aggressive razors when you probably need to add another well judged pass or two, I suggest it also takes a shave or two to get used to a different razor if you are changing frequently.

Could it be you lack either the same sense of confidence in the "milder" razor's ability to perform or the degree of caution you demonstrate with the more aggresive razors ? Either one could lead to minor errors.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Had another go this morning, slowed it down and concentrated on very little pressure. I got a much better shave with no irritation, but still managed to get one nick. If had had not gone ATG I would still have got a very good shave, with no nicks, but I wanted to experiment.

I'll spend more time getting to know my mild razors.

Thanks all for the advice.

I'm wondering if it is due to the smaller gaps above and below the blade, causing more of an accumulation of cream around the blade so making it less effective. Maybe shorter strokes and more frequent rinsingof the razor could help.

I'd tend to agree with too much pressure....the only time I ever nick myself..(which isn't very often)..is when I'm using a blade a shave too far,and its no longer sharp enough.....I consequently change blades after three shaves maximum regardless of make.....the blades less sharp than Feathers or Yellows will only do for one shave...

Back
Top Bottom