Whipped Dog, UK experiences/equivalents

I had a search but couldn't find much relating to this subject. So I'm getting very very interested in the straight side of things, so much process...I love process, and routine and tradition, basically it looks right up my street.

So far it seems that the whipped dog sight unseen deal appears pretty good value to get me started, because I can't afford to jump in completely at the deep end, especially with a strop that will end up in bits.

So any of you experienced UK folks tried these out? I care little about the visual, just the edge.

Also is anyone here offering similar level deals? I know that some of you are big into the honing/restoration and I know of a local antique dealer where I can get a hold on some well priced straights, would that work out better?

I've only read good things about whipped dog straights in that the edges are well prepared but the rest is left in "user" condition so you get what you pay for so yes I'd say they'd make an ideal starter razor. You'll have to get a strop for maintenance no matter what, contact Neil Miller he might be able to help you out with a budget kit or if you have a source of cheapish razors i.e less < tenner then get one that is corrosion free as we have a few members including Neil that'll be willing to hone for you.

I don't know your shave history but having just taken up using a SE I'd say that's nearer to using a straight than a DE razor so it might be a good introduction without maintenance issues, cheap too.

I bought a poormans strop kit from him and was very happy with it: items as described, fast shipping and killer price.

And by the look of the strop, with small bites here and there I´m very happy I went this route cause it would hurt very bad to nick a beatiful expensive strop like that.... :D

brinechild said:
I had a search but couldn't find much relating to this subject. So I'm getting very very interested in the straight side of things, so much process...I love process, and routine and tradition, basically it looks right up my street.

So far it seems that the whipped dog sight unseen deal appears pretty good value to get me started, because I can't afford to jump in completely at the deep end, especially with a strop that will end up in bits.

So any of you experienced UK folks tried these out? I care little about the visual, just the edge.

Also is anyone here offering similar level deals? I know that some of you are big into the honing/restoration and I know of a local antique dealer where I can get a hold on some well priced straights, would that work out better?

$40 for a straight razor is hard to beat. As for strops, there are plenty of inexpensive alternatives. It's just a piece of leather with mounting hardware if you boil it down.

Back
Top Bottom