Which of these two for beginner training

Hello, I've decided ti try SR shaving so my friends father gave me to choose from two razors he used long time ago. Since I'm a complete newbie I would appreciate advice from more experienced which would be better and more forgiving. Here are some pics to see what I've got.

This is J.A. Henckels, I believe 4/8 full hollow

XrJ8fl.jpg
LFnVRl.jpg

This is Fritz Bracht - Tennis, probably 5/8 quarter hollow (at least it looks like that to me :) )

UHEzCl.jpg
IGLAdl.jpg

Krwpzl.jpg

Pics aren't that great but hope they can help.

Would go for the tennis slightly larger blade, will make it easier than the smaller one.
I would also send it out to get if fully shave ready before you start but they are both lovely razors.

As Pedro says. 4/8 is the narrowest easily managed size as far as I'm concerned (3/8 razors are tricky little things), but 5/8 is just about ideal. Also the point on the Henckels looks less forgiving than the Bracht.

Both razors look quite well worn, so my guess is that they started out with rounder points. They should both shave well though.

OK, Bracht it is then (good eye regarding point Arrowhead.) They are both worn and need polishing up and sharpening (Tennis especially) since they haven't been in use about 20 yrs, but at least I have a chance to see how it goes with straight before spending a bunch of cash on something better.

Thanks for help guys

I hope you enjoy straight shaving. There is a lot of information here to help you out. From my own experience it is essential to get your razor properly shave-ready before attempting any sort of shave. If you have any difficulties at least you'll know it's not the blade! Let us know how you get on.

I'd say try them both. Unless your on a severe budget. No reason not to sharpen up the other one.

I say this because I've actually heard from some newbies that they found the 4/8 to be easier than a 5/8. Now, it's not true for everyone and honestly, I found it to be a rather odd claim, but upon further investigation, it was not a one off occurrence.

Well the next step is to find if anyone in Serbia really knows how to sharpen one of these and it seems this will not be an easy task but we'll see.

asharperrazor said:
... I've actually heard from some newbies that they found the 4/8 to be easier than a 5/8. Now, it's not true for everyone and honestly, I found it to be a rather odd claim, but upon further investigation, it was not a one off occurrence.

That's an interesting point Lee. As I understand it a century or so ago 4/8 was the commonest width available and regarded as the standard sensible sort of size for a blade, but since then razors, like people, have filled out a little. So nowadays 5/8 is the common size, maybe even 6/8 in the States. In "Shaving Made Easy" (1905) (that's a pdf download, clean as far as I know and worth having) 4/8 is recommended as the best beginner's size, and the author warns against larger razors. So, what I said was a personal view.

It's not clear to me whether the OP has an option to try both razors, but if so that would be great. The wider blade does make it a bit easier to judge the angle, most people would say I think, and a Fritz Bracht is rather desirable :)

Yes, a professional hone job is definitely advisable, Petar. The nearest person to you that I can unreservedly recommend is Gábor Gunkel, who makes the Buddel razors. When I say "near", that's Dresden, so it's relative! :icon_rolleyes:

Man who gave me razors said I should try both of them and decide which to keep so that's probably what I'll do. Also my hairdresser told me about some old honemeister from another city, I am yet to get in contact with him to see what he says.

Arrowhead said:
Yes, a professional hone job is definitely advisable, Petar. The nearest person to you that I can unreservedly recommend is Gábor Gunkel, who makes the Buddel razors. When I say "near", that's Dresden, so it's relative! :icon_rolleyes:

I've looked at his site and must say he makes beautifull razors, but with scary looking blades xD

Arrowhead said:
asharperrazor said:
... I've actually heard from some newbies that they found the 4/8 to be easier than a 5/8. Now, it's not true for everyone and honestly, I found it to be a rather odd claim, but upon further investigation, it was not a one off occurrence.

That's an interesting point Lee. As I understand it a century or so ago 4/8 was the commonest width available and regarded as the standard sensible sort of size for a blade, but since then razors, like people, have filled out a little. So nowadays 5/8 is the common size, maybe even 6/8 in the States. In "Shaving Made Easy" (1905) (that's a pdf download, clean as far as I know and worth having) 4/8 is recommended as the best beginner's size, and the author warns against larger razors. So, what I said was a personal view.

That makes a lot of sense. Not sure if its true, but until I hear of a better explanation, I'll go with yours.

@OP,
If you can't find anyone, let us know.

I just wanted to keep you up to date, I've received my razor today but they couldn't sharpen it good enough although they said they could :icon_mad:
Now I could send it to someone abroad but I think it would be pointless since I would have to do that every few months or so, so I'm preparing to buy some stones and give it a go myself.

Back
Top Bottom