Which blades

Hi All,
Apart from the expencive DE blades we sometimes have to grab some blades when we go shopping s oI would like to know from you lot if you have used & rated some cheapo DE blades.

All own brands & under £3 for 10 razors, which are half good blades to use out of the Tesco, Sainsburys, Asda (Personna blades) & Boots blades?.
Any help will do.I used a DE years ago but then the wilkinsons DE blades were still avalible in asda (I think)...I normaly use a straight/cut throat razor so I'm new to this DE game.....

Thanks in advance.

slrjona said:
Hi All,
Apart from the expencive DE blades we sometimes have to grab some blades when we go shopping s oI would like to know from you lot if you have used & rated some cheapo DE blades.

All own brands & under £3 for 10 razors, which are half good blades to use out of the Tesco, Sainsburys, Asda (Personna blades) & Boots blades?.
Any help will do.I used a DE years ago but then the wilkinsons DE blades were still avalible in asda (I think)...I normaly use a straight/cut throat razor so I'm new to this DE game.....

Thanks in advance.

I would never get to the stage where I had to buy them from a supermarket. I've loads in stock and buy them when I see a good deal. In fact most of the time you can pick up blades cheaper than the usual £1.99 for 10 supermarkets charge. Amazon, EBay, here and Shavenet are the best places.

Around our end of the woods Barnstaple you can get Merkur at Yoiungs but at just short of £5 for a pack !!!

Thank you mr saint...ur a saint.i had a look in a shop called evolution in barnstaple(they have ralph laren polo shirts) & they have a small aray of geo f thumper creams/soaps &aftershaves.i picked up some lime scented cream,but yet to use it.worth a lok if your in barnstaple.

I have to agree, £2-3 for 10 blades is poor value but if you absolutely must buy in single packs (and I can see that sometimes a man doesn't need 50 blades) then you can do a lot worse than Tesco's Personnas.

Alternatively, since most DE users tend to buy in bulk, I'm sure many members will happily sell you a packet or two of any blades of your choice that they might have for just a couple of quid? I've got some 7 o'clock yellows you can have if you cover the postage.

Tesco, Boots and Asda are all personnas (either shop-branded or otherwise), with Tesco and Asda around the £2 for 10 mark and Boots 50p or so more.

Good decent blades, smooth and sharp enough for most. I was happy enough with them before I got blade aquisition disorder and bought a trial pack!

I have settled on AstraSP's as my own personal go-to blade. Around £8 for 100 delivered from Turkey is a bargain in my book.

Supermax stainless are available from quite a few outlets too (esp asian supermarkets) and aren't bad either, but not a match for the astras or personnas.

However, avoid Laser blades from Wilkinsons (the discount store, not the blade mfr) - they are truly awful.

fatboyslimfast said:
..I have settled on AstraSP's as my own personal go-to blade. Around £8 for 100 delivered from Turkey is a bargain in my book...

I have seen a few types of Astras but how did these compare with the likes of Gillette 7 O'Clock yellows if you've managed to try these?

geezer said:
fatboyslimfast said:
..I have settled on AstraSP's as my own personal go-to blade. Around £8 for 100 delivered from Turkey is a bargain in my book...

I have seen a few types of Astras but how did these compare with the likes of Gillette 7 O'Clock yellows if you've managed to try these?

I've just tried both and found them to be equally as good, maybe giving the sharpness edge to the Gillette's whereas the Astras were a touch smoother.

The Gillettes were good for 3-4 shaves, as were the Astras.

You'll not go wrong with either, IMO.

Where in NI btw?

slrjona said:
Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

I agree with others, that supermarket blades are not a great idea, although some may disagree.
Try the sample packs at Connaughtshaving.com

Paul Mayhew there is very helpful and a long time user of DE's

My choice in order of preference would be;

Gillette "Swede" Platinum (If you can find them)
Super Iridium
Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (Blue box)
Gillette 7 O'clock SharpEdge (Yellow box)

All of these are excellent blades IMO.

All the best

John

Tainted said:
geezer said:
fatboyslimfast said:

I've just tried both and found them to be equally as good, maybe giving the sharpness edge to the Gillette's whereas the Astras were a touch smoother.

The Gillettes were good for 3-4 shaves, as were the Astras.

You'll not go wrong with either, IMO.

Where in NI btw?

Thanks for the info - would like to try the Astras and the SP Gillettes too and the connaught site has those in a sample pack...
Just west of Lisburn :)

You'll find that most people on the site have a blade 'thing' and you'll almost alway have a atleast weekly or biweekly note on a great blade sale somewhere. You'll end up with a fine stock in no time at all!

Johnus said:
You'll find that most people on the site have a blade 'thing' and you'll almost alway have a atleast weekly or biweekly note on a great blade sale somewhere. You'll end up with a fine stock in no time at all!

personally ive got 2 years worth of blades and ive only been de shaving for less than 4 months

Back
Top Bottom