Which blades???

Hi guys. Im brand new to DE shaving, and am currently butchering myself on a bi-daily basis with a cheap boots de razor. Im sure I'll upgrade soon.

Anyway, the number of blade brands out there is ridiculous and Im wondering what people would reccomend as a first purchase?

Many thanks.

Hi mate. I'm newish too. I started with a boots DE and found it quite aggressive.
My Edwin Jagger DE89 is far smoother.

Anyway, because it's an aggressive razor, I would go for a milder blade. The Derby springs to mind.
Some hate these though.
The other blades I would consider are Astra and Gillette 7 o'clock yellows. These are sharper and not the best beginner blade, but an excellent shave

Derby blades are mild and ok to learn with but EJ89 or similar like Muhle R89 (same head) would be good choices and reasonably priced. I have a Merkur HD 34C which is the only proper DE I have used (Boots' Wilkington Sword DE wasn't very good). Currently using Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (sharp edge)blades too and they are sharp but very smooth and much better than any blades I have used yet (Derby, Treet, Personna and Wilkington Sword). Blades are very personal so try some out at your leisure. Bought my Razor via http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/ and with a 10% off code (TSR) the postage was more than paid for my Merkur. They put some nice sweets in too and a pack of blades. Postage was excellent - next day.

The razor has to go! If you fancy a cheap intro to DE shaving maybe something mild like a Gillette Tech would be a good starting point. I have one spare somewhere and I'd happily match some blade samples. PM if you're interested. Have a read around on the Tech and see what you think - it's one of the least aggressive DE's around.

Ditto on the Gillette Tech a good razor to learn on and stick with.

In terms of blades, good suggestions already get the sample packs from Connaught.

But for me any of the Gillette 7 O'clocks but the Blue and yellow ones are considered the best IMO. Also if you can find them, as they are no longer produced, the Super Iridium

All the best

John

Re: the Boots DE razor, I have one. But I bought it more for the comb than anything else. Because it is so light to use I am assuming it is tempting to press harder than usual when shaving.

Anyway, a sample pack is the best way. The problem I found is that those blades I liked are no longer available: Gillette Superthins, Gillette 365. But I have put in an order for 7 O'clock greens (mild), 7 O'clock yellows (sharp), Feather (sharpest), Personna Israeli made 'reds' - said to be good, Timor - pricey but good.

Back
Top Bottom