Where to look for a straight razor?

Dax

I am a DE Gillette man usually but am interested in trying a straight razor.

Given that, where should I start looking to pick up a (preferably vintage) razor, strop, hone & gubbins?

Equally, I know what money to pay for the DE I buy but some guidance on budget for this lot would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Ian

Also, how much is an average cost for re-honing?

I can thoroughly recommend an Alan Oscroft strop, he's a member on here, username oscroft, double strop made of webbing and leather fixed with screws so the leather can be easily replaced if you cut it etc. PM him and he'll sort you out. UKRob has some very nice straights for sale, there's a link on his signature. I've bought a few recently from fleabay, one with an issue, one with none so tread carefully! I sent my 2 to Rob for honing and the results were excellent and I'm sure other members would be equally obliging. I've not looked into honing myself yet as taking it one step at a time!

I did take a good look at UKRob's razors.

Are the makes of John Westby of Sheffield & OSGAR good bad or indifferent razors?

Always worth to checking/asking Antique shops and Flea & collectors markets/shops, some of them can be a knob head and give you strange looks and may say they are illegal. Don't be put off by them. I bought and saw some nice razors, hones and strops as well as DE, single edge and rolls razors.
If the straight razor is bad and deeply rusted then its %99 a write off so don't bother with them unless they are very cheap like £1 to £3 so you can use it as project or for honing practice.

Honing practice was what I had in mind, something I won't mind learning with.

There are a couple of Sheffield blades on for about £20 but I'll keep checking the Bay.

Admittedly what do I know but, beautiful Westholme strop and a John Holler (Tower) razor arrived today.
Many thanks both.
Time to start practising, carefully.

Back
Top Bottom