Where to buy pins?

Hello,
I am thinking of trying to take the pins out and put new ones back with washers, to some of my razors, i was thinking of first give a try on a broken blade razor, just to see how it is then try the full on job. how much are they? where can i buy them and is there anywhere that i can see how its done, the whole procedure of taking them of without damaging the scales and put the new ones.
thanks alot

Pin's are easy to buy, just put in 1/16 brass rod in your Ebay search, it's the 1/16 brass washers that are the more difficult to get hold of. As for removing the old pin's I cover both sides of the razor with masking tape then slowly file over the head of the pin including the masking tape that's covering the pin both sides until you file the head completely off and you are starting to file away the washer, be careful now not to damage the scales if you are goinig to keep them, now place the razor on a small piece of wood slightly larger than the razor with a small hole drilled in the wood same diamiter as the pin including the washer, a tiny squirt of WD40 on the pin head, now very gently with a small punch tap the middle of the pin, it may may start to move, do not remove the tape till you have the pin out, but remember the scales could be very brittle always keep this in mind. But on saying that, you may also find that it will not move that easy, then you need a 1/16 drill and a firm hand and a true eye, then drill the pin out.

Regards Jamie.

pugh-the-special-one said:
Pin's are easy to buy, just put in 1/16 brass rod in your Ebay search, it's the 1/16 brass washers that are the more difficult to get hold of. As for removing the old pin's I cover both sides of the razor with masking tape then slowly file over the head of the pin including the masking tape that's covering the pin both sides until you file the head completely off and you are starting to file away the washer, be careful now not to damage the scales if you are goinig to keep them, now place the razor on a small piece of wood slightly larger than the razor with a small hole drilled in the wood same diamiter as the pin including the washer, a tiny squirt of WD40 on the pin head, now very gently with a small punch tap the middle of the pin, it may may start to move, do not remove the tape till you have the pin out, but remember the scales could be very brittle always keep this in mind. But on saying that, you may also find that it will not move that easy, then you need a 1/16 drill and a firm hand and a true eye, then drill the pin out.

Regards Jamie.

Thanks alot Jamie, much appreciated

I've made decent pins from the smallest nails found in hardware shops; I think they are called panel pins. I just cut off the sharp end and the head then peen both ends as shown in the restoration video clips.

10a washer? could you tell me what the fit is like on a 10a washer with a 1/16 brass bar, because I know that a 1.5mm washer is a perfectly tight fit and also a 1/16 washer is a nice fit, but haven't used a 10a washer, also could you put the link in for the model shop.

Regards Jamie

Zannkimaru said:
I wouldn't mind a link to those 10a washers also, I've been able to find everything else I need to restore my razors all except brass washers. Thanks in advance

Actually they are 10 ba, my mistake, i use these:

http://www.hobbyholidays.co.uk/products.php?cat=111
and they sell the rods.

Back
Top Bottom