What's a good first SE razor?

themadremmy said:
Quick update Alan very kindly sent me a 1912 and some blades. Gave it a go on Saturday for the first time. Placed the blade in carefully was very different to any DE. Took a bit to get a good angle. It's strange coming from a DE as there is no real blade gap. I managed reasonably close shave with a little irritation under neck. Very different technique which requires more practice.
Initial thoughts are I'll give it another go or two with this blade and then possibly pif it on. Might find the next shave much better though.
Is there much difference in blades? I think Alan included GEM blades. Are SE blades easy to get?

Paul.

Hi Paul,

I can't help you with the 1912 info, but there's a few injectors you might start with. One is aggressive like a short handle E or G type and the other's are milder later models like the J or L type. Or, you can just get the adjustable M type.

Good thing about injectors is there's a decent blade selection with some currently being made that are ok such as the Chinese Schick blades (NOT the German ones). I think those were about the best modern ones for me. There's also vintage blades that can be very good.

One really enjoyable part of injector shaving is the wonderfully open sight lines from such a thin head. Great for pinpoint work under the nose or if any trimming is needed anywhere. Makes the DE head feel clunky by comparison.

Martin

alancrab said:
Hi Martin any links for those injector blades I've now branched out and have a couple PALs on route but have only seen the Connaught blades

Well, that part is tough for me

When I see these Schicks on Amazon it doesn't say where they were made. You would have to contact the seller and ask.

Ted Pella makes blades, which may be what Paul sells and those get ok reviews except for kinda cheap dispensers. Usta be maybe around 5 currently made blades but it's been way too long since I knew what they were. Those Chinese Schicks are your best bet. Anyway, it's a good place to start.

Vintage blades are worth looking into if you decide to see how good the shave can get. They can have their own charms, but it takes learning about em. You will be fine with most any Schick made in the US...but not too old. Some early blades are truly nasty.

Gillette and Personna both made nice blades back then, starting in the late 60s and Schick was even through the 90s. Many of those old blades are still fine and a few special ones are in my rotation. That's what's nice about injectors.....the ability to purchase really good old blades. it's an option but still not needed for a nice shave.

I could send you some to try except shipping is over $10 for even one dispenser....pretty nuts. How bout I offer to sell you two unopened 7 pack Schick blades..14 of em. One pack is the current Chinese version and the other is from around 1990. Both good ones to see what's up between old and new. Cost you $20 total and send me a message if that grabs you

Oh wait, is this like a BST thing? If it is considered this I will remove that money part and apologize. Otherwise I will let this truly mercenary offer stand.

Martin

pjgh said:
Although the BST forum is now open again, this was a classic "'ere, geezer ... wanna buy a blade?" moment :D

Well, desperate times you know,

I dont mind skulking around in other threads if that's what it takes. Did you see how humble I was?

And a very kind offer it was but I'm getting a pack of vintage blades with the razors but was interested in a more sustainable supply - thanks very much for the leads and i will be chasing them up

alancrab said:
And a very kind offer it was but I'm getting a pack of vintage blades with the razors but was interested in a more sustainable supply - thanks very much for the leads and i will be chasing them up

Sounds good. Maybe post a pic of those old blades and keep in mind there's no shortage of vintage injector blades to be found.

They're PAL premium. I'm hoping its a full pack but until they arrive it's anyone's guess.

[attachment=13337]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1426034578003.JPG
    uploadfromtaptalk1426034578003.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 17
Either a GEM or similar e.g. Ever Ready, 'shovel head' etc. Or an injector razor. Technically, my first ever razor was a Schick Injector back in the 1970s when they were still available in the shops.

alancrab said:
They're PAL premium. I'm hoping its a full pack but until they arrive it's anyone's guess.

Alan, that's some sketchy stuff there,

Never tried that particular Pal razor but the ones I did use were just not as good as the Schick versions. They were ok, but not great.

Heh, those blades might be too old and if they are you will know it right away by them pulling like they're having a tug of war contest on your face. If they're good ones you will know that too. If it was me I would plan on buying different ones.

Sorry I don't have better news,

Martin

You were absolutely right about those blades they were ghastly - I will have to try some of the newer ones when SWMBO has calmed down over all the stuff I keep buying [emoji4]

Back
Top Bottom