What is the best way to 'season' my 30 year old

steel wok?

BTW.....it isn't carbon coated.....so my question should be 'what is the best way to prevent my 30 year old (not carbon coated) steel wok from rusting'?

Thank you in anticipation.

Is it NOS 30 year old? Proceed as if new. If it's used 30 year old and needs re-seasoning, proceed as if new. If it is already seasoned and you mean protection beween uses, pour a little veg oil into the wok and wipe around inside and then out with a sheet of kitchen towel roll. Repeat at next usage to get rid of the dust and heat as if seasoning.

I'm wokking tonight!

Bechet45 said:
Is it NOS 30 year old? Proceed as if new. If it's used 30 year old and needs re-seasoning, proceed as if new. If it is already seasoned and you mean protection beween uses, pour a little veg oil into the wok and wipe around inside and then out with a sheet of kitchen towel roll. Repeat at next usage to get rid of the dust and heat as if seasoning.

I'm wokking tonight!

Do you mean NOS as new old stock? It's 30 years old and gets used maybe once a month and is rust free and I put that down to wiping it down with olive oil after efery use.

Okay...it's clearly discoloured because of being heated but it hasn't been "seasoned" as such, proper seasoning (or oil blackening) will give you a non stick rust free surface. As you use your wok relatively infrequently I'd probably still give it a wipe of oil, any oil before storage.

Here's a basic video, I do pretty much the same with my steel cookware.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SesaUVFZ-M[/video]

No need for a new wok Boab, unless you've already bought it. No matter how rusty it might look, just scour all that off with brillo pads, and do like in the video. I use lard when I do this, but can't say whether there are differences in different oils. You want to burn it good, and keep all the windows and doors open, as it will make a lot of smoke. Wipe it smooth, so there is still oil/fat, but no drips if possible. It gives a great non stick and non rust surface fo quite a while, and generally just needs rinsing and drying afterwards - although a quick swipe with oil before ou put it away won't hurt,.

Back
Top Bottom