What can you tell about this valet auto strop?

Hi,

This is my second valet autostrop razor. I picked it up because i love the gold tone.

What can you tell me about this model ?

8ec156d24cb5ddc8ab0a9e57d278c80f.jpg
70ef39fd50dfcb1c1feb053dd1ec24a7.jpg
5211449939154baf782ce7e0bcdb289b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not an expert, but my best guess is it's a Model C razor (known as VC1) - early to mid 1920s
Pictures from behind and of the razor without a blade and opened up would clarify.

Hi,

This is my second valet autostrop razor. I picked it up because i love the gold tone.

What can you tell me about this model ?

8ec156d24cb5ddc8ab0a9e57d278c80f.jpg
70ef39fd50dfcb1c1feb053dd1ec24a7.jpg
5211449939154baf782ce7e0bcdb289b.jpg

Well, beyond the obvious point that it was owned by a man in his forties who did a lot of cycling, who had one arm slightly shorter than another, was a Freemason, and didn't possess a bowler hat - I'm afraid I can't help you further.

It's a VC1 ... you can also use GEM blades in this one by removing the spine from the back and sliding it in just like that VALET blade. Modern FEATHER blades work, too, but don't seem to last more than one or two shaves.
Thanks!

have you tried that ? How hard is to despine a gem blade?

Greetings

These models with the 'half ' top cover/blade holder are really good shavers and quite a bit more aggressive than the later models, which you may or may not prefer, it is possible to ease back the blade from the blade stops a little with the closing lever and it does work and it makes the razor milder but it seems a bit of a half arsed way of adjusting a razor to me, in the same way as unscrewing the handle a bit on a DE; the stops are there for a purpose and the blade should be hard up against them in my view.

These models do have the distinct advantage of being able to take the modified GEM blade, this is not an option with any of the later models. I think that particular model is US or Canadian I believe we only made silver coloured Valets here in the UK.

Regards
Dick.

Back
Top Bottom