West Indian Limes

Drubbing said:
Canuck said:
I didn't enjoy it at all. Like you, I thought it sounded promising as I do like lime in the bathroom but I thought it had an odd background smell, it actually reminded me of an old damp flannel.

Before you buy any, get the sample set from T+H and you'll then get to try it before you commit. Quite a few guys here have had the T+H lime stuff but there are some really mixed reviews, it seems to divide like no other T+H scent.

Yep, I went the full sampler of creams, balms and smellies.

Hated limes - a dusty smell of old limes at the bottom of a musty box, to my nose. The balm is very nice though - what the cream *should* smell like. It's just lime though, so nothing to get too excited about.

Rather disappointed with the whole pack tbh. Nothing wrong with the creams, but there's just as good for less. But the smellies are useless, they just don't stick around, and that's kind of the point of colognes. Shame, as Grafton is quite nice, the rest are instantly forgettable, the Sandalwood is barely anything at all.

Did you get the Freshman Cologne in that pack? I have seen people say it's not unlike Davidoff Cool Water, which I have used for many years and still like to use.

I will hold my hand up and say that like a fool I jumped in and bought without sampling first the T&H shaving cream,aftershave balm and cologne all in West Indian Limes and now I have found out that I have oily skin and should not really use balm,the cologne only lasts for 1-2 hours and I havent used the shaving cream yet,but,now the census of opinion is that it is pretty poor.
Oh well,a fool and his money...............
Regards
Derrick

Derrick, the cream is really excellent stuff it's just not to everyone's taste scent wise. If you like the smell, use it as you won't be disappointed with the performance. So easy to use.

The cologne lasts longer than 2 hours, are you sure you're just not noticing it after that period? My wife still smells it when I come home from lunch around 5 hours after shaving but I can't smell it by then.

Get the balm on BST. The balm actually smells good and someone will buy that, I'd guess you'll make 70% of your money back on a new bottle.

Canuck said:
Derrick, the cream is really excellent stuff it's just not to everyone's taste scent wise. If you like the smell, use it as you won't be disappointed with the performance. So easy to use.

The cologne lasts longer than 2 hours, are you sure you're just not noticing it after that period? My wife still smells it when I come home from lunch around 5 hours after shaving but I can't smell it by then.

Get the balm on BST. The balm actually smells good and someone will buy that, I'd guess you'll make 70% of your money back on a new bottle.
Thanks Canuck,good advice,I must admit I really like the smell of the cologne,however short lived(I have not tried any other WI Lime colognes though to compare).
Yes I will give the cream a try,it just seemed (fragrance wise)to be getting "negative feedback"
Regards
Derrick

I like the T & H Limes. Once i finish the tub i have (in a rotation of about 15 creams, soaps & sticks) i WILL be replacing it.

Still might get some Castle Forbes though.

Question on limes... Is there a difference in the fragrance of "Lime" vs "West Indian Lime". I know in the US "Key Lime" differs from "Lime". These 2 are different fruits. Is it the same with West Indian Limes and 'real' Limes??

never been a massive fan of the T&H W.E.L... its smell is a bit nondescript and performance is acceptable, but no better than any TOBS cream I have.

However. I will say that T&H's sandalwood and ultimate comfort creams are absolutely outstanding and worth the bit extra they cost over the cheaper rivals. The sandalwood balm and cologne in particular have a fragrance that hangs around for ages.

Johnus said:
Question on limes... Is there a difference in the fragrance of "Lime" vs "West Indian Lime". I know in the US "Key Lime" differs from "Lime". These 2 are different fruits. Is it the same with West Indian Limes and 'real' Limes??

Yes there is a difference, for UK to USA translation purposes: West Indian Lime (UK) = Key Lime (USA), they're the yellowy ones not the dark green limes we get in supermarkets:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_lime
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_lime

Johnus said:

What's doin Johnus,

You'd think the scent of 'lime' would be pretty straighforward in things like shaving soap/cream, but it's not the case. Lime is lime....it's what we think of when being around that fruit in some way. Everyone has a reference point to that basic Essential Oil frag. Far as different kinda limes having their own scent slant, I can see that to some degree, but not much.

What we have in T&H lime is a blend, with lime being in the foreground. Those other notes are gonna be unexpected for someone only used to sniffing straight lime EO.

Best single note lime shaving item I know of would be Castle Forbes cream. No florals, sweetness, vanilla, etc, added to that brilliantly piercing shot of LIME. Close second scent wise (and even more intense) would the the soap Charles sells at QED.

Some companies will use non essential (fragrance) oils in their products, and those various artificial lime fragrances can run the gamet. You gotta sniff each of those and see what's up with the interpretation.

Now if you're ever near a Niemans, you might wanna check out the Tom Ford EdT line. The guy has some amazing juice, and his 'Azure Lime' EdP is the best lime frag I've ever sniffed....by far. The associates are happy to make up a decant.

Anyway, maybe some of this will help somehow.

Martin

It does. I was thinking about have some custom made soap and splash made. Wife like vanilla , i'm not sure I want to smell like a cake! Only scent I really like other than Almond is Channel #5!(little pricey for an aftershave) was thinking lime but now not sure. Wife did like the vintage Colgate that you sent.

Back
Top Bottom