Vulfix Simpson 90th Anniversary LE

90 were made of these.

If you were inclined to think of a Rooney Finest or Plisson High Mountain - forget it. Buy one of these while you can. This is a superb all round brush. Firm backbone but soft on your face. Will work as a great face latherer, with soaps and with creams or just whip up lather and paint it on in luxury. It is a two band super grade based on the old Astor design. Lettering is in gold ink. This was going to stay on a shelf. It won't remain unused and it will get a regular run out as part of my rotation.

I like this brush.

Attachments

• DSC_1848.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 231
  • DSC_1852.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 228
  • DSC_1853.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 227
I thought that prices like this were too much to be spending on a brush, but I had a chat with a friend yesterday who was buying a new mobile phone.Not any phone though, the 'new' iphone.Apparently £560 -£600 will secure you one new one but he had his eye on a couple of ebay auction and made two 'cheeky' offers just below £500.Both got accepted so he ended up with two new iphones and almost £1k lighter on his bank balance.Bearing in mind he probably spent the same amount when the first iphone came out a couple of years ago the return on the money doesn't seem as good value when you compare to how many years this brush will last and bring enjoyment with use.I could guarantee that if I told him I was buying a brush at almost £200 he would think I was crazy but now I am not so sure who the daft one is.BTW I am not looking to spend that money on a brush but it did make me think.

Boab (self confessed gadget freak but not in the cult of Apple)

The Astor is the same as another brush in terms of knot and loft I got made at Simpsons. Robert at TGS kindly sent me one up to evaluate and I have to agree it is a marvelous looking brush, the pictures really don't do it justice. I have used the brush with the same knot for a few weeks and that is a stellar performer, it keeps getting better.

I should have a simple decision, send it back because it quite close to one I already own, but I want to keep it.

Boab said:
I thought that prices like this were too much to be spending on a brush, but I had a chat with a friend yesterday who was buying a new mobile phone.Not any phone though, the 'new' iphone.Apparently £560 -£600 will secure you one new one but he had his eye on a couple of ebay auction and made two 'cheeky' offers just below £500.Both got accepted so he ended up with two new iphones and almost £1k lighter on his bank balance.Bearing in mind he probably spent the same amount when the first iphone came out a couple of years ago the return on the money doesn't seem as good value when you compare to how many years this brush will last and bring enjoyment with use.I could guarantee that if I told him I was buying a brush at almost £200 he would think I was crazy but now I am not so sure who the daft one is.BTW I am not looking to spend that money on a brush but it did make me think.

Well exactly...except that your mate will be able to get it out at every opportunity but then it will be worth ten times less in a 18 months.
A good brush should last you decades so for some it can be worth a three fiqure investment, thing is the only folks that will know or give a shit are us lot.

All good points, it is down to the value you yourself place on it. A neighbor of mine who has a jewelery business always says, "Something is only worth what people will pay for it".

Some people pay 3 or 4 figure sums to play golf or watch football because they like it, some take huge hits on cars in terms of depreciation because that is their passion. I am a cars and shaving guy, don't play golf or like football, don't really go to pubs that often although I do enjoy the odd nice meal out with a refreshing beer. As shaving goes I do not think twice, I set aside a budget for myself and take a slice of bonuses and treat myself.

The only brushes I would like to try at the moment are Plisson and Rooney, perhaps I am being narrow minded but I do have a penchant for Simpsons brushes, I haven't found any other off the shelf brushes that I like so much (custom brushes excluded).

Very nice brush, but to me a faux ivory handle is a necessity to classify it as a Simpson. Now they made something that contradicts their entire line of 'regular' brushes...

I know what you mean Frederick, looking at the pictures I thought "that isn't right" in the flesh it was more "oh that will do nicely" once you get your head round the initial shock of a Simpsons in something other than faux ivory you realise this is a special brush. I guess if they turned it out in the normal handle there would be a bunch of people saying that it doesnt look any different to a normal Simpsons, each to their own buddy I gueess.

Parking the handle issue for a moment the knot is superb, easily rinsed fast to lather, right amount of backbone but soft tips and very controllable application.

Back
Top Bottom