Virtual phone line

Anybody subscribe to Vonage or other similar service they could recommend...I could do with another landline and you get your own number with apt area code.

Seems reasonable for £6 p/m (UK landline unlimited) + £23 setup, other tarifs available.

I use Skype-In / Skype-Out (they may have changed what they call them now!) which I think does much the same thing.

For example, when SWMBO was in Australia for a month I set up a Brisbane Skype-In number so that she could make a local call from there and the phone would ring here.

Likewise, when I ran my own business I set up an 0207 number so that I could have a central London appearance. As for Skype-Out, I have a geographical number which appears as the Caller ID when I make outgoing calls.

I think they are much of a muchness but you DO need a fast broadband connection - I have 120MBS from Virgin so I am fine.

Also, I have a GREAT dual handset which plugs into my landline and my router and gives me DECT handsfree for both Skype and TDM calls.

David

I get no gprs signal at home, but I have discovered that my smartphone automatically uses my broadband wifi signal to make and receive calls when it has no signal. And because it is going over my broadband it is free. I also use skype at home for chats to family in south Africa and Australia. Not the best quality line but it's free :)

Don't forget that if you have a crap phone signal at home then you can install a femtocell to boost the signal.

I got one free from Three and T-Mobile and paid Vodafone fifty quid for theirs. I now have a perfect phone signal on all handsets at home by using my broadband to deliver the signal to the mobile network.

More details if anyone wants them.

David

Back
Top Bottom