Vintage UK Wilkinson Blades

A real shame they don't make these any more in the UK, i can say without a shadow of doubt these are the best blades i have used, including Swedes, Bleues, feathers etc etc etc (even better than the vintage Jewells :blush::blush:)

Nice and sharp, very smooth, and solid performers for at least 4 shaves in every razor i have tried them in

Todays Shave

J.A. Henckels DE Razor
Vintage UK Wilkinson Blade
RSC Concentrated Shaving Cream
Henk Wooden Best Badger Brush

PERFECTION !!! :icon_razz::icon_razz:

Wilk.jpg

They are Steve, they are.
I remember buying these from the local Tesco in Wythenshawe they used to last ages. And they came with a nice picture on the back of the front card of a sword, and the "one blade left, remember to buy some more" card when you got to the last blade.

Father Ted said:
They are Steve, they are.
I remember buying these from the local Tesco in Wythenshawe they used to last ages. And they came with a nice picture on the back of the front card of a sword, and the "one blade left, remember to buy some more" card when you got to the last blade.

thats them.....yeah i like the little "time to get more blades card" !!

normal_smf_438.jpg

i remember there being a discussion on here about the Old UK Wilk Plant, they stopped making blades in the early 90's i think ???

Shame, if these were still made i would have no others.

i have about 100 of these.....everytime i see any down car boots they get hoovered up !

sunburyboy93 said:
i have about 100 of these.....everytime i see any down car boots they get hoovered up !

catsquare.png

There was some discussion that the Crown Red Stripe blades were supposedly made on the old UK Wilki machinery. Having bought 200 of them I can attest they are not a patch on the vintage Wilkis - the only blade I have used that came close was the Wilkinson Sword Brazilan made Falcon Brand blade. They were close, very close in feel and longevity.
773dc249.jpg

I remember buying these in the 1990s - 50p for 5 at the local 'cheap' shop, and good they were too. But, around the same time the WS Classic blades were being introduced in their more elaborate packaging with the fancy larger blade tray. 5 of these cost around 75p. In other words, 25p for a piece of yellow cardboard.

Hiya,

See now, this is something shaving related that you foreigners should have over the Yanks. I mean jeeeez, the blades were made in the UK...gotta be a bunch of vintage packs floating around somewhere. Heh, I'm sure Steve does his best to find good homes to those when he can, and you can bet he buys em for next to nothing. I know I do at the places I find em. Like Steve, I'll buy as many as I can see in front of me (and after asking about having any not on display).

The history of those UK blades is about impossible to really figure out for dating purposes. Since there's no understandable code like a Gillette blade has, the Wilkinson blade has different 'eras', or time periods. There's the 'Golden Era' early production Light Brigade blades, and 1-2 other blades from around the same time. The last UK Wilkinsons from the 1990s wasn't supposed to be anything special from what I'd read. Heh, in between there, a LOT of different old Wilkinsons were made and sold.

You know, all of these various versions I've tried have been better than average, and some have been excellent. One of em just recently became my favorite blade, since the Iridium was finally dethroned after three years or so. Surprised the hell outta me finding a blade I liked more than the Russians.

They usually aren't expensive, even on ebay. The exception would be those Light Brigades, which can sell for $4 each. Pretty nuts eh? You just gotta pick and choose a bit, and at the most, vintage Wilkinsons shouldn't cost more than half a buck each. Cost a dime or less per shave....very easy to rationalize. Of course (in a nod to the Canuck), there's always the possibilty of cooties, even if the pack is sealed. You have to weigh that carefully when deciding to purchase old blades.....who knows where those things have been all these years?

You guys should be buying a pack or two, just for the hell of it and because they're a local product. I'm not saying you'll find a magical blade (althought it's possible) but it'll at least be a good journey spent with a UK classic bit of shaving history.

Martin

A few pics of different era blades:

Attachments

• wilkinson super sword (Small).jpg
    wilkinson super sword (Small).jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Wilkinson ebay 001 (Small).jpg
    Wilkinson ebay 001 (Small).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 18
Back
Top Bottom