Vintage Frederick Reynolds Restoration.

I have just finished this project for UKRob a member over on the TSR UK forum, it's a Frederick Reynolds with horn scales, well when i stripped the razor down i could see a small hairline crack on one of the scales near the pivot, so I was not going to chance cleaning those back up and re-pinning them only for them to suddenly break, so i dont usually offer to make custom scales for a restore purely because it's so labour intensive takes up far to much time, but the razor looked so nice after the restore i decided to make a set of scale out of a small sheet of natural light coloured horn i had lying around it was 6X2 inches and 5mm thick, well i managed to get the horn down to just over 2mm each scale all hand sanded and fnished, i need to buy myself a bench sander phew! the only other problem was the blade pivot hole was quite large far to big for a 1/16 brass bar, so i made a small nylon bush and fitted it inside the blade pivot, then drilled out so it fitted the 1/16 bar snuggly without movement, I also used a piece of Welsh Yew as a wooden wedge, plus two different size brass washers doubled up, well now for the fruits of my labour, hope you enjoy.

Jamie.

002-1-2.jpg

frederickReynolds003-1.jpg

frederickReynolds004-1.jpg

frederickReynolds005-1.jpg

frederickReynolds001-1.jpg

frederickReynolds002-1.jpg

I'm pleased to have kept this razor has original as possible, the blade also honed up lovely. If i'm perfectly honest the pictures dont do the razor justice, she looks even better in the flesh and the blade looks brand new.

Jamie.

Lovely job Jamie!
The horn looks great with the yew.
Bench sanders are the way forward, think I paid about 70 quid for mine and now wonder how I managed without one!

Karl

django said:
Lovely job Jamie!
The horn looks great with the yew.
Bench sanders are the way forward, think I paid about 70 quid for mine and now wonder how I managed without one!

Karl

Being a Carpenter in my fifties, with every hand tool under the sun, including polishing machines and buffers you think i would invest in a bench sander Karl, but it's just a case of i usually only make custom scales for myself so i dont have the use for it. But on the other hand I dont know how I ever manage without my polisher and buffier.

Jamie.

pugh-the-special-one said:
the razor ..... looks even better in the flesh and the blade looks brand new.

Jamie.

Isn't the idea just to shave the whiskers off the flesh ...? or is this a gore fetish club?

Briliant piece of workmanship!

Great work Jamie, will definitely be giving you a pm should a straight come my way. As it becoming too tempting, I don't think I'd shave with it, just another shiny thing to have in the collection.

Lovely little restore there, good for another 100 years.

I am the opposite, I have the bench sander but wish I had the polishing wheel, hand sanding a blade is crucifying!

Nice one.

Back
Top Bottom