Vintage Brush restore gone awry !!!

After removing the knot in the wood one I saw the 20 mm Boar knot I had for it was tight due to an inner metal ring the old knot came out of and was still running around the interior of the ferrule. I used a dremel on the inside trying to sand down the metal ferrule..............yep, you see where this is going and why I dread doing brush restores. It heated it up to the point I saw smoke and noticed a spot the size of a pencil eraser head blacken on the ferrule. (Toby warned me it burned easy and fast but this surprised me) That's not bad enough, it continues to smoke and spread until the entire ferrule desitigrated before my eyes........I was left with this wood handle and blackened metal band from the knot.:mad::cry:
IMG_20220923_093615552.jpg

Last edited:
I had bought a group of brushes from France a year ago that went missing and showed up 3 months later destroyed. this was one of them from the arrival pic and I robbed the ferrule from it and sanded down the top until it would accept the knot.........
IMG_20211213_205533712_HDR.jpg
image (1).pngIMG_20220923_103847841.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. Shame about that Albright ferrule. Still, fingers crossed all further fettling goes according to plan and you get a nice brush out of it in the end. I thought it was gonna be a horror story about the 400, which was how I imagined any effort on my part to fix one up.

Wow. Shame about that Albright ferrule. Still, fingers crossed all further fettling goes according to plan and you get a nice brush out of it in the end. I thought it was gonna be a horror story about the 400, which was how I imagined any effort on my part to fix one up.
Yeah, I need to get a nicer dremel to polish it versus my awkward/bulky Rotozip which damaged one before. Thanks

Last edited:
After removing the knot in the wood one I saw the 20 mm Boar knot I had for it was tight due to an inner metal ring the old knot came out of and was still running around the interior of the ferrule. I used a dremel on the inside trying to sand down the metal ferrule..............yep, you see where this is going and why I dread doing brush restores. It heated it up to the point I saw smoke and noticed a spot the size of a pencil eraser head blacken on the ferrule. (Toby warned me it burned easy and fast but this surprised me) That's not bad enough, it continues to smoke and spread until the entire ferrule desitigrated before my eyes........I was left with this wood handle and blackened metal band from the knot.:mad::cry:
View attachment 93895

Well damn, but at least you got that pesky ring outa there! :p

On the ones that come apart you can usually tap them down and take them out.

Good thing you had a donor ferrule, and now it'll be easier to work on the wood.

View attachment 93895

That really is a shame, it was looking pretty good and had clean lettering, but I'm glad you didn't just ditch it, it's a nice handle shape in the hand. (y)

View attachment 93895

I’ve done a few brush re knotting jobs and agree it can be quite stressful working on a vintage piece. I try use a light weight jewellers dremel if possible but sometimes the old knot is so well entrenched you need a bigger version for more pressure to clear it out and/or get the hole to take the new knot. Not ideal when you’re working on an Edwardian silver handle or in you case the ferrule.
You seem to have recovery well in hand Dave and the finished product will give you many more years of use unlike the brush as you received it would. A result!

Back
Top Bottom