Valobra Shaving Soap Stick

rum

Just wondered why this shaving stick is so expensive compared to the rest...

In the UK, Palmolive is on average around 50p for a 50g stick. Wilkinson or Erasmic a tiny bit more, but Valobra is in the region of £10 everywhere I look for the same weight stick.

I've not tried it myself, but I hear that it's good, but seriously, at such a high markup compared to the Palmolive, is it really worth it?

I should point out that my regular soap is MdC fougere, so I am not one to complain about price usually; it's just that this stick is the only one that is way out there in terms of price.

I'm not sure why the price is high. It's one soap I've yet to try I have a stick in my stock. Maguires have the best price for this but still around £7.

http://www.maguiresbarbershop.co.uk/shaving-soaps/?sort=featured&page=2

Having used Palmolive, La-toja, Lea, Arko and Erasmic the Valobra is my favourite stick (just), great lather and nice post shave feel as well.

however I bought mine ages ago when the price was about a fiver - not sure I would buy it at the current prices most online seller are selling it at.

I't s good but 20 sticks of Palmolive lasts a hell of a long time.

Actually, Maguires is probably quite reasonably priced... but still way more than the cost of Palmolive!!

rum said:
Actually, Maguires is probably quite reasonably priced... but still way more than the cost of Palmolive!!

And way more expensive, proportionally to the non stick Valobra soaps which are priced at a tenner for three times as much. Je ne comprends pas, as they say in France.

Valobra is similarly priced to D.R.Harris sticks but with less practical and cheap packaging. It doesn't offer value for money, but it is definitely a top performing product!

Well I've ordered a stick at the cheapest price possible. Let's hope it lives up to expectations...

I've got three sticks which I paid under £6 for grated into a tub, I think its brilliant stuff. The 100g pucks are about £18 each and the soft soaps are between £8-£10.

Thanks for all the replies - please keep them coming!

Which of the soap pucks (100g) is the nearest in scent to the shave stick?

I bought some Valobra sticks a while back when they were £5.95 at McGuire's. Alas the price has gone up since. I grate them in a tin, as I do with all my sticks. I quite like the soap, mild soapy scent and good protection, but then again not noticeably better than Speick, Palmolive, La Toja or Lea in my opinion.

I picked up a puck of Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge during a sale, apparently also produced by Valobra, and for some reason I find that it lathers easier and is generally a better soap, not even taking into account the quality of the scent.

rum said:

I believe the Unscented.
I've tried the Cologne which I thought was quite sweet smelling with a hint of fat :huh: :)

I've been told the unscented has more of a 'manly smell' though I think the stick does has some fragrance added to it as it says it has "parfum" on the box.

Dobbo25 said:
rum said:

I believe the Unscented.
I've tried the Cologne which I thought was quite sweet smelling with a hint of fat :huh: :)

I've been told the unscented has more of a 'manly smell' though I think the stick does has some fragrance added to it as it says it has "parfum" on the box.

Interesting - thanks. I'm going to have to revisit the pucks if I like the shave stick. Of course I need to use up some other stuff first...

although £6 may be expensive for a stick it will last at least a year if rotated with other soaps and probably 3 months using exclusively

so still value for money

rum said:
Dobbo25 said:
rum said:

I believe the Unscented.

Interesting - thanks. I'm going to have to revisit the pucks if I like the shave stick. Of course I need to use up some other stuff first...

I look at it this way, £6 for a stick is expensive but I like it and I like the slight soapy scent, therefore its worth the price. Most of us pay £12-£20 for a 100g puck anyway so I don't see it as overpriced.
The Palmolive is a good stick at whatever price it is but it just smells the same as the bars of bath soap from years ago and it reminds me of my Nan cleaning my Granddads shirt collars with it.
When I used the shaving stick I found the scent quite overpowering for the rest of the evening.

Back
Top Bottom