Use of Alum or/and post shave cream?

So far in my shaving life (i am 45) i never used an Alum block. Do you think it is usefull to use it or it is better to use post shave cream or both? The last three months I have been shaving with straight or a Feather AC SS. I do not have any cut or irritation usually but i feel i need something stronger than my after shave lotion. There are some parts of my face that are a bit more sensitive durring the day when i touch them. I do not want to say hurt because it is not actually hurt its just more sensitive. Waitting your responce before ordering something.

What you want by the sounds of thing is a nice soothing post shave balm or cream.

I don't think Alum will make your face feel any more comfortable, if anything it could well make it worse, it is certainly not soothing.

It might be worth investigating different post shave products, maybe some Bay Rum, I find that very soothing after a slightly too close shave.

What do you mean by - you need something stronger than your AS lotion? Are you using a splash as well? Get an alcohol based one (e.g. La Toja is very good).
I use Alum only if I get an odd nick.

Thanks thats exactly what i am looking for. Bay rum is a post shave cream? I have also seen the proraso pre/post shave cream. Is it for the same job?

Helveticum said:
What do you mean by - you need something stronger than your AS lotion? Are you using a splash as well? Get an alcohol based one (e.g. La Toja is very good).
I use Alum only if I get an odd nick.

I am using an alcohol based after shave. Maybe my word strong is not the right one but i used it because in mind the more pain you get after the shave the more smooth your face will be the rest of day. I think that the pain is heeling irritation.

Lose the beard said:
I don't think Alum will make your face feel any more comfortable, if anything it could well make it worse, it is certainly not soothing.

When making statements like this I feel you should qualify them by relating it to your personal experience or opinion. My experience of alum is completely different - I find it does help to sooth irritated skin - as do many other contributors to this forum.

For the sake of a minimal outlay (and given that I've never heard of any long term damage), I think the OP should try it and see if it helps. I would add that I also use Witch Hazel after alum followed by any number of balms and aftershaves.

UKRob said:
Lose the beard said:

When making statements like this I feel you should qualify them by relating it to your personal experience or opinion. My experience of alum is completely different - I find it does help to sooth irritated skin - as do many other contributors to this forum.

Yes, I should have put that, I missed it, thanks for picking up on it. :)

Thanks Rob. I tend to do that since the cost is not that much. What is a Witch Hazel? Is it a post shave cream. Is your oppinion that i should try using both and of course the after shave?

Witch Hazel is a plant. Many (well, some) aftershaves are based on it due to it's medicinal properties. You can get a pure distilled one from Boots for 3-4 quid and give it a try.

I don't find alum soothing at all, but it's a good antiseptic and is handy for tiny nicks so for that reason alone it's worth owning a block. It's an excellent underam deodorant too, so for the small outlay you may as well buy a block and try it. Useful stuff.
Irritation will go away with better technique but in the short term you might like a balm. I suppose this is one of those areas you just have to try and see what you prefer, it's half the fun anyway.

In answer to your other questions, Bay Rum is just a specific smell of aftershave splash, some are better than others. One member here sells a very soothing one. Ogalalla make one that is mainly witch hazel, it does sting a bit but it leaves my skin feeling very clean. Proraso pre/post is a kind of moisturising balm, so it's like a cream in consistency.
I find balms leave me feeling a bit greasy so I prefer the dry, clean feel that I get from a splash. Just depends on your skin type.

I do not really like balms. They are too oily and too mild. Technique is a thing that i have to improve thats for sure. I will get it and see how it goes.

Some of the most soothing aftershaves I've tried are Speick and Lucky Tiger, there's also Agua Balsamica (Spanish one) that I've not tried but from what I've heard it's up there with those two.

Speick i have tried and used almost constantly since Helveticum gave me a sample, wonderful stuff! As is barbershop bay rum which is made and sold by our very own sunburyboy. Pm your address and i will see if i can get a sample of each sent to you.

Daz

I guess balms and other post shave treatments are intended to re-hydrate the skin - after all, shaving and using soap/cream takes a lot of moisture out. Their impact will depend a lot on skin type - they suit me because I am naturally dry skinned and like the 'plumpness' of feeling re-hydrated. However, I can see that anyone with an oil skin could find then unnecessary and go straight to A/S.

Back
Top Bottom