Unpinning and repinning

Hi Cem,

I can tell you the method I use, firstly I will spray the pin including the pivot with WD40, then move the blade back and forth just to loosen any grime and build this seems to help, then I tightly wrap one layer of masking tape around the both sides of the pin with the blade closed, this will help protect the scales, now with a very small file I slowly file off the pinhead until I'm usually filing off the surface of the washer, what usually happens next is the washer usually comes away leaving a clean looking pin, now I place the razor including the scales onto a small piece of soft wood with a little hole slightly larger than the pin including the washer, once again I give the filed away pin a little spray with WD40, now take a very small punch and a small peening hammer and lightly tap the pin 9 times out of 10 this will work, but I did say 9 times out of 10 remember those words, and good luck. PS don't forget to expose the opposite side of the pin before you tap the pin out, as the masking tape will stop it from coming out.

Jamie

Thank you very much Jodypress and Jamie, both very helpful. Now I will get myself a small needle file and some pins and washers, there was a thread about where to buy pins and washers but I can't find it. So whats the best place to buy pins and washers?
many thanks

here's where you can buy the washers, two different sizes
FWB0 100 #0 .064 1/8 .017 $ 4.20
FWBW0 100 #0 wide .064 3/16 .017 $ 4.90
http://www.microfasteners.com/catalog/products/WASFWB.cfm

If you put in a general search on Ebay for 1/16 brass bar something will come up.

Jamie

You can't go wrong with Jamie's advice, he's a true gent and his restores are superb. I ordered my pins/washers from a restorer on Ebay in the US. I'll see if I can dig up the link.

pugh-the-special-one said:
here's where you can buy the washers, two different sizes
FWB0 100 #0 .064 1/8 .017 $ 4.20
FWBW0 100 #0 wide .064 3/16 .017 $ 4.90
http://www.microfasteners.com/catalog/products/WASFWB.cfm

If you put in a general search on Ebay for 1/16 brass bar something will come up.

Jamie
Thanks a lot Jamie

jodypress said:
You can't go wrong with Jamie's advice, he's a true gent and his restores are superb. I ordered my pins/washers from a restorer on Ebay in the US. I'll see if I can dig up the link.

Thanks Mate, much appreciated

pugh-the-special-one said:
Hi Cem,

I can tell you the method I use, firstly I will spray the pin including the pivot with WD40, then move the blade back and forth just to loosen any grime and build this seems to help, then I tightly wrap one layer of masking tape around the both sides of the pin with the blade closed, this will help protect the scales, now with a very small file I slowly file off the pinhead until I'm usually filing off the surface of the washer, what usually happens next is the washer usually comes away leaving a clean looking pin, now I place the razor including the scales onto a small piece of soft wood with a little hole slightly larger than the pin including the washer, once again I give the filed away pin a little spray with WD40, now take a very small punch and a small peening hammer and lightly tap the pin 9 times out of 10 this will work, but I did say 9 times out of 10 remember those words, and good luck. PS don't forget to expose the opposite side of the pin before you tap the pin out, as the masking tape will stop it from coming out.

Jamie

Thanks for the tips.

Back
Top Bottom