U.S.A. Sat Nav

I'm off to America, California to be exact at the end of March for nearly three weeks, all pleasure. I have been having a look in the ITunes Store for an App for the IPhone with maps of North America. It must be Offline as I don't want any expensive bills to come back too. Has anyone any recommendations ? I currently use Co Pilot UK which I find very good, is the USA one as good ?

Northam Saint said:
I'm off to America, California to be exact at the end of March for nearly three weeks, all pleasure. I have been having a look in the ITunes Store for an App for the IPhone with maps of North America. It must be Offline as I don't want any expensive bills to come back too. Has anyone any recommendations ? I currently use Co Pilot UK which I find very good, is the USA one as good ?

Hmmm if you have wifi available google maps is an option if im not mistaken it only needs the data to search for locations etc. so it could work fine if you get it situated with wifi then just drag it around but it wont be able to give you any of the neat features like public transportation schedules, routing, etc.

Sikario said:
Northam Saint said:

Hmmm if you have wifi available google maps is an option if im not mistaken it only needs the data to search for locations etc. so it could work fine if you get it situated with wifi then just drag it around but it wont be able to give you any of the neat features like public transportation schedules, routing, etc.

I will be needing the routing really, jst to make life a little easier. Many thanks for your help though.

The freebies like Google Maps download the map data as you move... Hence data. The location is done by GPS (perhaps given a helping shove by the MAC addresses of visible WiFi networks).

International roaming + data = kidney sized bill (possibly liver)

Can you get prepaid SIM cards for T-Mobile in the US? That would probably be the cheapest option for data over there.

http://prepaidwithdata.wikia.com/wiki/USA suggests its possible...

hunnymonster said:
The freebies like Google Maps download the map data as you move... Hence data. The location is done by GPS (perhaps given a helping shove by the MAC addresses of visible WiFi networks).

International roaming + data = kidney sized bill (possibly liver)

Can you get prepaid SIM cards for T-Mobile in the US? That would probably be the cheapest option for data over there.

That's a good idea.

hunnymonster said:

My i wish i had thought of that solution.. totally slipped my mind the question is does he have his iphone jailbroken if so he wouldnt even have to consider sticking to T-Mobile and could maybe even get away with some of the uber cheap X amount of dollars for a month of full access deals..

Jailbreak is not SIM unlock.

Jailbreak is the ability to load and run "unapproved" apps.

SIM lock is what prevents you from loading up a SIM for a network of your choice. It is generally evil :)

You can be jail broken and still SIM locked, you can be unjailbroken and SIM unlocked, or jail broken and SIM unlocked...

Should be able to talk your UK network op into SIM unlocking for free or at low cost by walking into one of their shops and telling them you're off to Japan and want to use a local SIM when there (Japan is important since no European operator has a local presence so they can't spin BS about EU roaming agreements and preferential rates with their sister operation)

hunnymonster said:
Jailbreak is not SIM unlock.

Jailbreak is the ability to load and run "unapproved" apps.

SIM lock is what prevents you from loading up a SIM for a network of your choice. It is generally evil :)

You can be jail broken and still SIM locked, you can be unjailbroken and SIM unlocked, or jail broken and SIM unlocked...

Should be able to talk your UK network op into SIM unlocking for free or at low cost by walking into one of their shops and telling them you're off to Japan and want to use a local SIM when there (Japan is important since no European operator has a local presence so they can't spin BS about EU roaming agreements and preferential rates with their sister operation)

*shrug* i havent owned an Iphone in years... 3GS time frame so back then when i jailbroke mine it sim unlocked as well i guess they have changed things quiet alot

d recomend co pilot.

yes you have to pay but its worth it.

it downloads full maps to your phone so uses less power than googlemaps as it doesnt require data or at least not for all functions

Decided to go for the CoPilot in the end.

Have also arranged the Sim Unlock, on the basis I can get a USA sim when I am over there. That will give me cheaper calls to our American friend. Also later this year I can get an upgrade so my son can then have my IPhone with his sim.

Thanks guys for all the help and advice.

Back
Top Bottom