Two vintage brushes, Certifyd and Century

I recently scored two vintage brushes in a fleabay sale.
One is a green/cream "Century, set in rubber" badger brush and the other is a red/cream "Certifyd" model 700/5 boar brush.
Our good Doctor has done his own restoration to a similar (size 3) Certifyd brush here: http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=22901
Here they are with the knots cut off.
_20140903_091904.JPG

_20140903_111405.JPG

Here they are with the knots drilled out and the openings cleaned up with a sanding drum in a Dremel tool.
_20140905_150012.JPG

_20140905_145953.JPG

The Century handle opening measures exactly 20mm and the Certifyd handle opening measures 26mm.
Here's a picture of the Certifyd with a US Quarter (24mm diameter).
_20140905_151233.JPG

Trying to decide on what knot type/size to use...

Take a look at Rod Neeps recent post - he made a very good point about the depth that you set at and the effective width you need to accommodate.

It feels soft in the hand, but I'll know tomorrow. It's lined up for the morning SOTD. :D
The knot was from here right?
http://www.theturnersworkshop.co.uk/shop/project-kits/shaving-projects/silver-tip-badger-shaving-knot-24mm.html

dunno bout the number, can vouch for the quality of knot from the turners workshop though-bought a silvertip of them for my first dabble at a restore and i am absolutely smitten! i face lather and it is everything i could want, brilliant stuff!
that certifyd looks super-cleaned up really nicely!

Yeah, that knot is fab. I told Andy earlier, the tips are beginning to hook which should lead to "Gel tips" similar to the Rooney "Heritage" line.
If it does, then I'm going to buy a lottery ticket because my luck has changed for the better.
I only have one brush with "gel tips", my M&F Chief and it's by far the softest tipped brush I own.

hellofromme said:
Lovely restore job. What are the plans for the other one?

I acquired the other one as part of the deal for knotting that one - i put in a little 20mm silvertip and even set its loft at a low 46mm. It lathers well but has very little backbone.
2upwbqs.jpg

it's as soft as a soft thing on national soft day!

Back
Top Bottom