Track cycling

Yes, the girls were great yesterday, they didn't cycle too bad either.

I don't know why we are doing so well at cycling just lately, specifically track cycling, but we are not doing bad on the road or in the MTB either.

I'm not complaining though.

Long term investment in infrastructure and proper strategic planning and athlete development, centers of excellence and the like. Same reason for the resurgence of English cricket.

I remember when I was in high school going to the newly opened velodrome in Manchester on a Wednesday night. It was open to the public, I think it was £5 for a few hours on a bike on the track. Great stuff.

Indeed, as with most overnight success it all started with a world class velodrome being built in Manchester a couple of decades ago for the Commonwealth games which has become the national centre for cycling (football take heed)

chrisbell said:
Strangely, tennis has its academy and all the resources, but has singularly failed to bring new, young talent through.

Isn't there a promising young lass coming through in the tennis world?

Not to mention the man ranked 4th in the world.

Inspite of the LTA rather than because of it I think.

Tennis is an elitist sport and I doubt anybody would really give a stuff if it wasn't free to air every summer.

I may be wrong, but Murray went to Spain at a young age to learn his trade, self funded.

The mother is quite scathing about the whole LTA system.

They may have the money, but the LTA are obviously going wrong elsewhere.

cubert said:
I may be wrong, but Murray went to Spain at a young age to learn his trade, self funded.

The mother is quite scathing about the whole LTA system.

They may have the money, but the LTA are obviously going wrong elsewhere.

That's my point - they're rolling in money and elitist yet they've achieved very little with it.

antdad said:
Inspite of the LTA rather than because of it I think.

Tennis is an elitist sport and I doubt anybody would really give a stuff if it wasn't free to air every summer.

A good point actually if it wasn't for us hosting Wimbledon I doubt there would be any tv coverage. What ever happened to the milk race... Still I think cubert hit the nail on the nail on the head, investment in infrastructure has paid off.

Back
Top Bottom