Titanium vs. Stainless Steel

For a long while I have operated on the assumption that heavier stainless steel razor handles made my extremely mild Feather AS-D2 heads more efficient: the old saw about "letting the weight of the razor do the work," one of the first lessons learned in wet shaving. However, after a friend said recently that he had decided that stainless steel was just too heavy for him, I began to pay more attention to my own handles, and my impression now - always open to future change - is that my titanium handles actually feel more comfortable and give me a smoother shave than the stainless steel handles, possibly in part because arm and hand muscle loss due to post-polio syndrome has progressively affected my ability to hold a razor with stability while shaving.

What is your experience with one handle type versus the other?

For a long while I have operated on the assumption that heavier stainless steel razor handles made my extremely mild Feather AS-D2 heads more efficient: the old saw about "letting the weight of the razor do the work," one of the first lessons learned in wet shaving. However, after a friend said recently that he had decided that stainless steel was just too heavy for him, I began to pay more attention to my own handles, and my impression now - always open to future change - is that my titanium handles actually feel more comfortable and give me a smoother shave than the stainless steel handles, possibly in part because arm and hand muscle loss due to post-polio syndrome has progressively affected my ability to hold a razor with stability while shaving.

What is your experience with one handle type versus the other?
I've never been fortunate enough to have a titanium handle but I can see where it would be better for you especially .
I have both heavy and light razors and they both have their place in my rotation of razors, it's a little like music.....sometimes I like it heavy! :)

Yes, I too like variety in my razor handles, partly because of my "plain vanilla" heads, and I'm not about to give up my stainless ones. But I do seem to note the improved comfort of holding the titanium ones now.
If you favor titanium because they are a lot lighter then stainless steel follow IB(Razorock) on instagram. Joe is coming out with a titanium handle (T2) that suppose to be a lot cheaper then current offerings. He has not stated how much but the assumption is knowing his track record well under $100

I've got some titanium handles, but no titanium heads. I've owned and still own some aluminium razors.

A light aluminium razor gives a really lovely mild shave, but somehow I don't enjoy it as much. A titanium handle on a SS head is OK I guess, but I haven't personally found it any better than all SS.

Iv been fortunate to have tried a variety of combinations. I have found titanium handles to be the best for performance, feel and looks. Stainless steel is ok for me if the handle is the size of an ikon bulldog or smaller, any bigger and it feels too cumbersome for shaving. Aluminium i have found to be a bit too light but still great. Titanium is just right for me weight wise for what size handles i like, 80-85x13-15mm. Also been prefering to use the Wolfman Ti heads aswell so i guess i prefer a pretty light razor in all, maybe 50-60g.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom