Thoughts on Akkerman

Boab

Administrator
Staff Member
LeJog 2022 Finisher
I am interested to hear what you guys think of the group buy inks.

Last night I briefly tried the violet, I found it to be a lot wetter than the Diamine. Forgot to bring a pen to the office today so I will have to wait until tomorrow to give it a proper run in daylight.

Just tried it in my Parker 45 (bought from a certain Bay Rum maker of this parish) and a Pilot 78G with a broad stub nib. Superb stuff - lovely shade (I ordered the Simplisties Violet as a change from my usual dark blue Waterman and Montblanc inks), wet and with good flow. I deliberately tried it on my most demanding paper, 100gsm John Lewis "Script" A5 pad which has a laid texture and tends to be very ink-resistant. Thanks to Jason for organising the group buy - I can see myself replacing this bottle when it runs out.

Even the froth is finally disappearing!

Akkerman is a bad bad shop! Every time I pop in there, I leave with more goods (and less money) than I planned! :D

Seriously, if you are in Den Haag, Akkerman is a must visit! Great shop, great people!

I've tried the number 10 iron gall, it has a lot more blue that Mont Blanc midnight Blue, even post colour shift, it still retains more blue. I've not tested fade resistance, but it it's defintely waterproof.

This is a wet ink by IG standards, which I like, and I like the scent of phenol. I have had a couple of hard starts with it in my TWSBI, but some inks play better with some pens than others, so it might just be a case of finding one it likes. Of course, I love the bottle.

edit > I've now tried this in my Pilot Prera and it starts first time every time. <

I could see this being my new daily-use ink, and it'll help me to eke out my remaining Midnight Blue.

I have been using Diamine Jet Black and Sapphire Blue almost exclusively in my two Sheaffers and was quite happy with them. Been using the Ackerman Binnenhof Blues (6) in my MontBlanc recently and really like the flow of this ink. Seems to perform well on most papers and the colour is a lovely "back to school" blue.

I've had a setback with the number 10 ijzer galnoten, after a few days in the Prera it starts writing very dry and giving hard starts as though the flow is decreasing. I'll have to try it in another pen, but at this rate it won't be going into my Lamy 2000.

Iron gall inks always write relatively dry. Akkerman #10 is no exception.

They specifically warn you for that when you buy the ink in the shop in Den Haag.

It is one of my favorite inks, and it performs great in my Lamy 2000. But don't leave that pen unused for more than two or three days.

Back
Top Bottom