The history of Gillette 7 o'clock razors?

I rate the green "Super Stainless" very highly - despite their sharpness, they work well for me in my Merkur 34c. I'm not as enthusiastic about the yellows (Sharp Edge); I find them a touch rough. If I had several days' growth that I wanted to hack through, and was prepared to take my time to concentrate on angle and actually taking some of the weight of the razor off my face (the opposite of the usual newcomers' applying pressure mistake), then a Sharp Edge in the Merkur would be my choice, especially if I palm-stropped it beforehand to get rid of some of the initial roughness.

I have a very old (50+ years I'd guess) 7 o' clock razor, which used to belong to my granddad. Trying to find a bit more about it. Some (very poor) photos are on my welcome thread.

robwdavies said:
I have a very old (50+ years I'd guess) 7 o' clock razor, which used to belong to my granddad. Trying to find a bit more about it. Some (very poor) photos are on my welcome thread.

Your Grandad had good taste. They are a fine razor.

I have just picked up a more well-worn example of an English made 7 O'clock - most of the plating is gone so it's more of a distinguished brass :)

The case it came in is a bit of an oddity though (I'll try to get some pics up when I can).
Plain white metal with a purple silk-like liner with "Made in Canada" and "Known around the world" above and below the Gillette diamond.

There is space for whatever razor it originally came with and two metal blade cases that look like little Zippo lighters.

Probably paid slightly over the odds for it, but I like it :)

Back
Top Bottom