The Elmo Razor no.333

Hi,

I was routing around my Grandmother's shed a few months ago and came across an old straight razor.

On the box it describes "The Elmo REG Razor No. 333"

"Best quality silversteel forged and hollowed in Germany"

I do believe it is a fully forged blade, by looking at the shape.

I am new to the straight razor (only used a DE safety razor) and I am interested if anyone knows anything about this particular Razor or brand?

Also, considering the condition, I would love to restore it to it's former glory as it is a family Razor. Would it be possible?

Thank you,

Karl,

Bournemouth.

MadCaddieKarlos said:
Hi,

I was routing around my Grandmother's shed a few months ago and came across an old straight razor.

On the box it describes "The Elmo REG Razor No. 333"

"Best quality silversteel forged and hollowed in Germany"

I do believe it is a fully forged blade, by looking at the shape.

I am new to the straight razor (only used a DE safety razor) and I am interested if anyone knows anything about this particular Razor or brand?

Also, considering the condition, I would love to restore it to it's former glory as it is a family Razor. Would it be possible?

Thank you,

Karl,

Bournemouth.

The box and razor might be a mismatch, are there any markings on the razor? If you post some pics and someone who knows more than me will let you know if it can be restored. Things to look out for are staining or pitting, damage to the edge, and honewear on the spine.

I found a couple of my great granddad's razors, one was a Kropp that had chunk out of the blade so I left it alone. One was an F Koeller in a mismatched case and the other was unmarked, I got both of those restored and they are good shavers.

They were a decent make of razor, and english, made by Osborne Garrett & Co. Ltd.

Some may recognise them as makers of the Kropp razor - another very good british razor that deserves more fame than it actually has. They also made the Osgar, Ogee and the Carrara brands of razor. The earlier ones all seemed to be hollow ground in Germany, but with the help of chief grinder Charlie Myers they were then exclusively ground in england. Charlie Myers acquired the Kropp Manufacturing Co. and also marketed his own razors - C. Myers & Son.

The Elmos I have seen/had have the half rising sun motif on the blade, in gold etch, with a similar metal foil motif set into the scales.

Regards,
Neil

Back
Top Bottom