The Bad & The Good: My first 2 shaves

After introducing myself on the forum, I thought that I would share my first straight razor shaves...

Firstly a big thank you to the contributors on this forum, as the advice on the forum directed me to buy a good straight razor and razor strop from reputable and recommended sources.

So on Saturday, impatient to make a start I took my shave ready Dovo Bismarck (a true thing of beauty) and my can of Nivea shaving cream/gel (I know - but I couldn't wait to give the razor a try) and cautiously proceeded to attempt to shave, determined to perform a 3 pass straight razor shave - as seen on youtube :blush:

Well, the razor grabbed and tugged at the bristles and a hour later my face was "sort of shaved." Red in places, with patchy stubble my face lacked that certain "baby-faced," freshly shaved look. :icon_eek:

Frankly, I was disappointed :icon_sad:

Sunday duly arrived and I resolved to repeat the attempt. This time, however, with one difference...Before shaving I actually stropped the razor (60 times on linen and 60 times on leather).

What a difference! (I don't understand how running a metal blade backwards along a piece of linen and then a piece of leather works) The razor was definitely sharper and I managed to shave off my bristles rather than pulling them out this time.

Needless to say I am perfectly happy to accept that as a total novice my lack of technique also played a significant part in both my shaving experiences and that these may continue to be "patchy" :blush: for sometime to come - but as I have said I am now certainly hooked!

Sounds like you have two problems to me first your technique is poor, and your razor is probably not sharp enough, the first problem takes quite a bit of time to correct the second one can be sorted out quite quickly by getting your razor professionally honed.

Stroppy - you've broken all the straight shaving commandments in one go!!

There is a long learning curve in terms of angles and pressure - which is why the recommendation is to concentrate on WTG passes on cheeks initially. Now that you have experienced the difference that a strop makes you will know to use it before each shave - just be aware of how you are using it and make sure the spine is flat at all times.

My best piece of advice is to ditch the canned lather - a properly prepared face will result in a much better result. Take a look at the advice regarding after shave products as well - I personally use alum, witchhazel, balm/moisturiser and splash in that order but they are generally cheap enough to form your own decisions and preferences.

Good luck.

Thank you for your advice, guys. This is exactly what I need. I have just kinda jumped in with both feet - not even realizing how much I have yet to learn or don't know. :s

The link on stropping was a revelation. I now plan to practice my stropping technique and my wtg shaving technique - and to get some proper shaving soap!

Back
Top Bottom