Tag Heuer help

First of all I think we need to understand that this is a wedding gift, and for that reason alone it may not be so easy to come and say "...oh perhaps you should try this or that..."

I suspect that Avnish is also more-or-less focused on that particular style and brand of watch, which is fine of course.

When you talk to or observe watch aficionados, the contemporary mass-produced TAG Heuer and Carrera models are (nine out of ten of them) out of the interest of a watch fanatic. As another member wrote earlier, almost any modern TAG/Carrera will lose quite a bit of its value an hour later after the purchase.

But sometimes, when we get to talk about watches, we forget the most basic things. Avnish may own a prestige collection of shaving brushes, razors, soaps but till the time his kids will go to college and he get to be a pensioner he may have owned a couple of watches at most.

So for a watch fanatic a TAG Carrera that costs £750 may not necessarily be the single best option at that price level at the moment, but for some other guy this is a watch that will be used hard, lived long with and cherished for years.

From a watch fanatic's perspective I would most likely not buy such a piece. On this particular movement I do not have much info but quickly looking at it it seems as a slightly modified ETA Valjoux 7750, a very long-standing, solid (albeit chunky) and reliable watch mechanism. The bad thing with watches that carry this movement is usually the thickness of the case (abt 13-14mm as a minimum) which can make the whole set not so easy to be worn under cuffs.

A watch fanatic would, at this price point, choose perhaps an Oris, a pre-loved Tudor, a Longines, to name a few. But again, it's horses for courses, and there is not real reason why a TAG would be inferior to (say) an Oris in the long run.

I have been told by one of my dealers in Singapore that the 'standard' line of Carrera models (i.e. with minimum complications - time and date) are not very strong or durable as compared to a Tudor, for example. Another quality brand that I have had the pleasure of ownership in one of its models is Baume & Mercier (I had the model Classima Executive).

Regarding service costs, any independent watchmaker with the minimum of self-respect would be able to service a chrono Valjoux 7750 movement. The cost would be at most roughly in the vicinity £200 as another member suggested earlier. For this type of watches, the movements of which are 95% ETA-based or slightly modified ETA variants, I would not suggest taking the watch to the official dealer, when outside the guarantee period.

Last thing - straps. A good, carefully chosen strap can completely transform a watch. With straps, as with many other things, you get what you pay for. A good strap will last you 5 years, wearing all year long. It will be made of crocodile or alligator leather and will have the necessary thickness. It should match the dial of the watch colour-wise nicely. It will have a nice matching pin or deployant buckle.

There are custom makers of watch straps, I can recommend a few, prices range from $90 shipped to $250. But it is important that the person who wants to change the look of a watch by selecting the right strap knows what he's looking for in terms of texture (i.e. type of leather), thickness, width at lugs and at the pin/deployant buckle, etc.

If any more help is needed, I'd be glad to contribute again, Avnish.
This is perfect K, thank you for your insight as well as to others very much appreciated. I respect all your points of view.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thank you, I know it may not be the 'collector's watch' but as you said my reasons for buying were purely image based.

Very nice watch Nishy.
Enjoy it.

Slightly off topic - why do manufacturers have a 'day' window?
I have one on my black monster and I think it would look better without it.

Very nice watch Nishy.
Enjoy it.

Slightly off topic - why do manufacturers have a 'day' window?
I have one on my black monster and I think it would look better without it.
Thanks fella. No idea as to the day display. I think this one, looks similar to an airport flip board thing..

Nice watch @Nishy
Maybe not a collectors piece my but my Tag is now 20 year old and still going strong (tough wood!) Never serviced, and I now go to a local jeweller for battery replacements at £7 instead of the £90 that Tag UK want!? I would not buy another though - I'm more suited to a G-Shock ;)

Back
Top Bottom