T&H Grafton

I finally got around to trying my T&H Grafton last night and this is my opinion on its performance. The cream is not coloured which is a good point in that neither will it stain the tips of a badger brush (mine is a TOBS Super Badger) nor will it, or it shouldn't in theory cause any reaction when applied to the skin.
I noticed how this cream seemed to be a little firmer than all my others when I dipped the brush into the pot and as this is my first 'delve' into T&H, I imagine the others will be the same.
On application, I was not prepared for the 'explosion' of its fragrance upon beginning to lather. It is the strongest and most long lasting of all my scented creams and soaps I have used to date. This scent will perfectly compliment Van Cleef & Arpels Tsar EDT. Masculine and uplifting, it really did give the final touch to what was already a most pleasurable moment in my day. Pure luxury.
Shortly after beginning my lather I noticed that the consistency is not as thick as Trumpers or CF and I wondered if I would be able to get two let alone three passes from my brushload, surprisingly I easily got three passes.
Razor cushion and glide were excellent and the shave was very smooth with no nicks. The only downside, if it is one is that it left my face feeling a bit dry and taught.
Another surprising aspect is that when I applied some alum after using this cream, I got NO STINGING sensation whatsoever unlike when I have used it after my other creams and soaps.
At £15 for a 165g pot, this isn't cheap but it is well worth trying IMHO.
If I had to score this product I would give it the following marks:
Smoothness of shave: 4.75/5
Consistency: 4.5/5
Scent: 5/5
A great product which I am sorry I had not bought years ago. Damn, I will have to get the 1805 and Trafalgar scents now! Tut!, more money going out of my account :lol:

nice review

it's excellent stuff and i think Grafton is their best scent

for those wishing to dip their toe into T&H i'd recommend getting one of the sample packs they sell

I used Grafton today for the first and followed with the ASB.

I'd agree with everything you said teabag. A great subtle scent, which came to life when face lathering, this was a pleasure to use.

Unfortunately I also experienced a very slight dryness and tautness on a small area on my chin. The ASB sorted that out.

If you haven't already check out http://www.hqman.com/shave-face/truefitt-hill for some great deals. However, not everything is in stock.

hando said:
nice review

it's excellent stuff and i think Grafton is their best scent

for those wishing to dip their toe into T&H i'd recommend getting one of the sample packs they sell

Probably one of the best sample packs available. You can get two shaves out of each individual sample.

You also get the matching aftershave balm to go with each shave cream as well. The colognes are a little synthetic though.

The Grafton is nice stuff. I was not impressed with the 1805 and Trafalgar samples but the Grafton made up for it, very similar scent to Mr Taylors.

Pete said:
The Grafton is nice stuff. I was not impressed with the 1805 and Trafalgar samples but the Grafton made up for it, very similar scent to Mr Taylors.

The 1805 sounds interesting. it is described as being an oceanic fragrance though someone said its scent was like cucumber. I would say oceanic would smell a little like Kenzo Pour Homme and I would hope it would resemble that scent not cucumber which I hate.

teabag said:
The 1805 sounds interesting. it is described as being an oceanic fragrance though someone said its scent was like cucumber. I would say oceanic would smell a little like Kenzo Pour Homme and I would hope it would resemble that scent not cucumber which I hate.

The 1805 is very similar to the TOBS St James. I'd always try a sampler or visit the shop before buying a whole tub. I heard great things about the Trafalgar but when I tried the sampler...

Pete

Pete said:
teabag said:

The 1805 is very similar to the TOBS St James. I'd always try a sampler or visit the shop before buying a whole tub. I heard great things about the Trafalgar but when I tried the sampler...

Pete

Great, thanks Pete.
I like TOBS St James's scent. I bought my dad a tub Christmas before last, sadly, he passed away last October and there is still about a quarter left in the pot. I haven't tried it yet but the smell is nice. Damn, that 1805 is getting closer to me :lol:

Pete said:
I second that. 1805 - possibly their flagship - did not impress me at all. The scent is rather everydayish with no exciting tones in it. I liked Grafton and Trafalgar a lot more, too. All in all I can't say any of their scents are bad or unpleasant to me in any way.

However Clubman stays my favourite from their scents ;)

Pete said:
The 1805 is very similar to the TOBS St James.
Never! :twisted: St.James is just fine and it does bear that little plus undertone that 1805 lacks. Similar they are, both are grandpaish smells :) But TOBS StJ. has something that makes it smell interesting for a modern young chap like me while 1805 stays in the "OK, I've tried it. 'nuff said" category... ;)

The dead thread lives! :shock:

But while we're at it I really like 1805, I don't think it's remotely "everyday". Out of any of the T+H colognes I think it's the best smell... but that's personal preference for you.

Back
Top Bottom