Supersizers

Boab

Administrator
Staff Member
LeJog 2022 Finisher
anyone following this series on BBC?
I find it funny and quite interesting.Some really nasty stuff getting served up to them.Fair play to both for actually ingesting it.
Here is a link on iplayer incase anyone is interested.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search/?q=supersizers">http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search/?q=supersizers</a><!-- m -->

I saw the 80s one a few weeks ago. This was funny, but I actually thought there wasn't enough nosh involved. They spent a lot of their time on a nostalgia trip. That said, it's not supposed to be an in-depth social documentary I suppose, and I expect I was dividing my time between the iPlayer and B&B at the time!!

Anyone got any particularly vivid food memories from back then? I do remember that McDonalds was an incredible novelty. To have a birthday party there was major kudos. Also, our first microwave was a majorly big deal. It was massive and we tried cooking all sorts of things from the cook book it came with said, and finally settled on its use as a baked bean warmer.

I can still remember having my last McGonads in Odense, Denmark at about 8pm on a Sunday evening in 1982... it was gopping and I've not had one since.

As for microwaves - we ditched ours because it only ever got used for making rice to go with curries - now I have a foolproof method using the oven that produces a better result so it's not missed. There's now a breadmaker in it's place :D (which gets used to make naan bread amongst 15 or so other types of bread)

Pig Cat said:
it's not supposed to be an in-depth social documentary

I agree with my erudite colleague - it has to be enjoyed at its own level and I do so.
Except last night when they dressed Giles up in an American 1940's gangster outfit and claimed that that was what was being worn in the 1920's. Quelle horreur! - I think the wardrobe people on that particular edition need wardrobing with their own wardrobes!
As for Sue Perkins I think she's great - witty and a wonderful "go for it" attitude.
Never miss it.

Love this show. Though I'm not as interested in the twentieth century stuff, it seems a bit familiar when compared to the French Revolution, Georgian England etc.

Coren and Perkins are great, genuinely funny and just being themselves. The clowning around does not seem forced or false.

philamac said:
Coren and Perkins are great, genuinely funny and just being themselves. The clowning around does not seem forced or false.

I think a lot of this has to do with the amount of alcohol they consume! looking at some of the 'feasts' dished up to them I don't blame them for getting arseholed.

Blimey I am way out of touch. Maybe my age. Sue Perkins is the least funny contributors on R4 and should be working behind a till at Woolies. Coren is hanging onto the coat tails of his father's career.

I would happily play Texas Holdem with Victoria though...I do like a bit of posh.

I saw a bit of the 80s one, which was a bit silly and felt inaccurate. I mean how many people actually had a giant mobile phone and ate "power lunches" back then anyway?

The one I most enjoyed was a year or two ago. I'm not even sure if it is the same show. Was called "Edwardian Supersize Me"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documentaries/features/edwardian-supersize-me.shtml

To me it was more fascinating seeing what monied Edwardians stuffed into their greedy maws.

Back
Top Bottom