Sugar'n'Spice and all things nice..what are razors made of?

I have been reading on other forums about EJ DE89s breaking when being dropped and poor quality control of Merkurs.

I've read that these razors are made of nickel (+/- alloys) and that these wont last forever, unlike the stainless steel ones.

So, my question is: what are modern razors made of, what were the vintage ones made of and will our modern ones last and be sturdy or do we need to buy stainless steel ones, like the Feather,Ikon or Weber?

Actually, that's 3 questions but you get my drift...!

Answers gratefully received and here's hoping they don't inflame the ol' RAD any further.....

Car door handles used to be made of Zinc diecast metal alloy,They probably still are. Occasionally one would break, and get a swearing at for being "cheap diecast crap", but they got a lot more hammer than a razor ever will...

I'd still like a stainless steel one though...The Weber sounds just about right to me....When they're back in stock.

chrisbell said:
As far as I'm aware, they're made of this stuff, which, for those of us who've had contact with vintage model railway stuff, is what old ('50s and '60s) loco chassis were made out of.

Thanks for the link Chris....I have some old Hornby "0" gauge locos' from the 1930's that were my Fathers, and the wheels were made from what I assume is a rather inferior alloy of zinc, for which Hornby models were "famous"..or "infamous" Unfortunately the wheels' are crazed to a very fragile mosaic, whilst the rest of the engines' bodywork are in almost pristine tin plate....great shame, as I don't want to replace the wheels with repro's, as that would detract from the originality.

I didn't realise there were so many varying specifications for cast zinc alloy, though I should have done, as my Father was a highly skilled Engineer, and we spent many hours talking about things mechanical and metal alloys in general.

GOLDCREST said:
chrisbell said:
As far as I'm aware, they're made of this stuff, which, for those of us who've had contact with vintage model railway stuff, is what old ('50s and '60s) loco chassis were made out of.

Thanks for the link Chris....I have some old Hornby "0" gauge locos' from the 1930's that were my Fathers, and the wheels were made from what I assume is a rather inferior alloy of zinc, for which Hornby models were "famous"..or "infamous" Unfortunately the wheels' are crazed to a very fragile mosaic, whilst the rest of the engines' bodywork are in almost pristine tin plate....great shame, as I don't want to replace the wheels with repro's, as that would detract from the originality.

I didn't realise there were so many varying specifications for cast zinc alloy, though I should have done, as my Father was a highly skilled Engineer, and we spent many hours talking about things mechanical and metal alloys in general.

My Dad's an engineer as well. I think he despairs of me sometimes when he attempts to explain things to me that he thinks are simple.:blush:

Back
Top Bottom