Strop Project

Having made a couple of paddle strops I'm going to have a try at making a couple of hanging strops.

I ordered some bits and pieces and they are now starting to be received.

No leather yet but the cotton webbing and square ended trigger clips are here. all 50mm (2")

2cxt8gx.jpg

Well the leather is in
104oxgy.jpg

Its "finished" on both sides which I wasn't expecting.

I think I shall sand one side with wet and dry paper to raise some texture and leave the other smooth. It makes a decision for me though that I will be making 2 separate strops, one cotton one leather, rather than making one strop with 2 parts.

Comming along nicely Nic, what kind of fasteners are you going to use, I see there are quite a few kinds of brass ones in the leather craft shops on the Bay, they are pretty good by the looks of them, or you could go for some brass bar and washers punch the holes out with a leather punch, then make your own rivets. Or you could use a small brass plate with small holes drilled through each plate then three brass nuts and bolts at either end. Will be nice to see the finished project

Jamie

It is English Bridle leather. My intention is to sew it, I have an awl and the right needles and thread albeit the thread is blue. My current intention is to use some of the wood off cuts I have to make handles, I shall be trying to turn some shortly, I've never tried turning a piece of wood which is very rectangular rather than squarish but don't anticipate that being too much of a problem.

You may find these of use if you want to join the leather and cotton webbing using bolts, as you can adjust the depth by cutting the bolts shaft slightly to fit the thickness of the leather and webbing.
http://woodandknifesupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_27&products_id=200

Jamie.

Well a day of mixed fortunes! Alas the motor on my lathe died while making a 2nd handle so I was only able to make one handle. I shall probably just go with a D ring for the linen strop now.

However I'm quite pleased with how the leather strop has turned out, sanding the "back" has provided a different texture and I think it will be good to do some laps on each side. The draw is nice and length and width seems good on an initial try!

25s3n0z.jpg

soyhq1.jpg

Not bad Jamie,

I borrowed a stitch marker from my wife, then used an awl to mark the holes. I then drilled 2 of the holes, tied everything in place then drilled the remainder. Stitching was quite straight forward, I only skewered my finger once, but used a scrap of leather to push the needle through.

Well I've plenty of testing to do but so far the sanded side seems to perform like a linen strop and the smooth side gives a better edge (my 1st thoughts were the other way round though) My Sheffield wedge took a super edge last night.

Back
Top Bottom