Streamline versus 1912

I've had a small collection of the more common SEs for some time.
The 1912, '14, '24(?) and micromatics.

The 1912 was a 'no'. I found it to have an underwhelming song as it mowed through the growth. Nothing like the 'butter on fresh toast'-metaphor. The razor felt harsh too and unrefined.

I was waiting on my '14 to be returned from Greg to give that one a go, having written off the 1912 as simply 'not for me' (I've now acquired a Gem Jr from another member in order to revisit the 1912-style head). As yet I've not tried the 1914 lather catcher.

I liked the 1924. It felt like I couldn't hurt myself with it. The comb guard felt like shaving through the best part of a toaster but the end result was smooth and fuss free despite its hefty, clumsy feel.

Anyway, I've ended up with a Streamline / Ambassador, whatever the razor alone is known as.
I always thought these were just jumped-up 1912s so I was not expecting great things this morning.
With a fresh blade loaded, the steamline effortlessly shaved close. I even got carried away, with work shaving Monday morning I'm usually a 2-pass gent. Three passes and I'm feeling fresh still as I write this 16 hours later.

The 1912 and streamline seem to be different beasts afterall.

In order of rank:
1st Streamline
2nd 1924
(Not a close) 3rd 1912

Non-runners: 1914; Micromatic OC, Bullet tip.

I'll get round to stacking them all up if I can put this Streamline down.
Anybody else underwhelmed by the 1912 or even favour the Streamline not only on looks?

My SE's aren't getting much love at the moment - I always get a rough shave with the GEM blades for the first couple of uses - but I very much agree on the 1912. Always on the edge of nicking myself and found it tough going around the nose.

My Streamline is a different beast and gives a good finish - and I am in love with the looks. Probably the prettiest razor this side of a Darwin.

However, I find that my Clog-pruf is the best of the lot from a shaving perspective. Very controlled, well balanced and a nice mix of effectiveness without being unduly aggressive. Worth tracking one down if you don't have one in your collection (plus they are also attractive looking objects).

cheesepiece said:
Anybody else underwhelmed by the 1912 or even favour the Streamline not only on looks?

I found just the opposite, the Streamline (mine is a GEM Jewel but that's the same beast) gives me a somewhat mediocre shave. It is however a nice looking tool.

I too like the Streamline, and have tried other ER offerings and Gem`s as well.

I find it easy to shave with, compared with the 1924 & MMOC, which both deliver great
shaves,but require focus and care throughout the shave.

I think it's fair to say that folks who "get" the 1912 tend to be underwhelmed by the Streamline. I have one, I like it ... but it's not one I'd reach for over quite a bit of competition, Featherweight and Contour included! Perhaps it is also fair to say that folks who don't "get" the 1912 may well be perfectly happy with the Streamline.

My daily go to is the Streamline, however that's as much for aesthetic reasons as anything else, it just looks so elegant. I don't really notice a terrible lot of difference in performance between it and tye 1912. The MM open comb is my most aggresive, however it's still a civilised beast which gets its turn in rotation.

JohnnyO. :icon_razz:/.

I find Streamlines to be more aggressive than the 1912 - I've used more than one of each model - so it's not just down to a particular razor in my experience.

The 1912 I can whip across my face and get both close and comfortable whereas with the Streamline, I get just as close but need to beware cuts. As for the OCMM, I did not enjoy that - you need to far too careful.

Until today I would have come out in favour of the Streamline. But today used a recently acquired 1912, which was of USA origin. I got a really nice close irritation free Shave,up there with the Streamline. Though I love the looks and weight of the Streamline.

I think it has been written elsewhere, that due to Quality Control issues, not all razors of the same type, shave in the same manner. I now know which one of my 1912`s is "the one ", to shave with. So do not condemn a razor type out of hand, especially the 1912,which is relatively inexpensive, so try another one.
Mike

I've got a Star branded 1912 which has a slightly mis-stamped comb and it's monstrously aggressive! I like it :D

DSC07089.JPG

If you squint, you can see the effect more clearly - the razor on the right has a quite different comb, with an alternating effect on each prong.

cheesepiece said:

The 1912 was a 'no'. I found it to have an underwhelming song as it mowed through the growth. Nothing like the 'butter on fresh toast'-metaphor. The razor felt harsh too and unrefined.

I was waiting on my '14 to be returned from Greg to give that one a go, having written off the 1912 as simply 'not for me' (I've now acquired a Gem Jr from another member in order to revisit the 1912-style head). As yet I've not tried the 1914 lather catcher.

I liked the 1924. It felt like I couldn't hurt myself with it. The comb guard felt like shaving through the best part of a toaster but the end result was smooth and fuss free despite its hefty, clumsy feel.

Anyway, I've ended up with a Streamline / Ambassador, whatever the razor alone is known as.
I always thought these were just jumped-up 1912s so I was not expecting great things this morning.
With a fresh blade loaded, the steamline effortlessly shaved close. I even got carried away, with work shaving Monday morning I'm usually a 2-pass gent. Three passes and I'm feeling fresh still as I write this 16 hours later.

In order of rank:
1st Streamline
2nd 1924
(Not a close) 3rd 1912

I couldn't agree with you more regarding the harshness of a 1912 with a new blade for the first couple of shaves, I thought this was a characteristic of GEM single edge blades until, I recently obtained, what looks like an unused GEM G Bar from the USA ...What I have learned is that it is a characteristic of some older razors that were not designed for modern GEM blades...Issues..mmmmmmm !

I am seriously impressed with the performance of this razor...It delivers a smooth clean irritation free shave, hugs and follows the contours of the face very nicely and even finds my hard to reach places in a whim....Its a bristle hunter in disguise...Interestedly this was one of the first GEM razors that was designed to go hand in hand with modern single edge blades...Unlike its predecessor's....And believe me they work in perfect harmony on the first shave with a new GEM blade.
This razor has a well balanced weight in the hand and a harmonious joining of a razor and blade... Beautiful shaver !

I am waiting on Santa (post man) coming with my 1904 GEM G BAR JUINOUR LATHER CATCHER coming from the US....I have been informed it like the GEM G BAR....is very aggressive towards the hair bristle and smooth towards the skin.....

Fergiebilly said:
cheesepiece said:

Some fun !

Gene Kelly once said that he danced for the Proletariat and Fred Astaire danced for the Bourgeoisie......Maybe Gene Kelly shaved with a 1912 and Fred Astaire shaved with a GEM G BAR.....or maybe not !

In order of rank:
1st Streamline
2nd 1924
(Not a close) 3rd 1912

I couldn't agree with you more regarding the harshness of a 1912 with a new blade for the first couple of shaves, I thought this was a characteristic of GEM single edge blades until, I recently obtained, what looks like an unused GEM G Bar from the USA ...What I have learned is that it is a characteristic of some older razors that were not designed for modern GEM blades...Issues..mmmmmmm !

I am seriously impressed with the performance of this razor...It delivers a smooth clean irritation free shave, hugs and follows the contours of the face very nicely and even finds my hard to reach places in a whim....Its a bristle hunter in disguise...Interestedly this was one of the first GEM razors that was designed to go hand in hand with modern single edge blades...Unlike its predecessor's....And believe me they work in perfect harmony on the first shave with a new GEM blade.
This razor has a well balanced weight in the hand and a harmonious joining of a razor and blade... Beautiful shaver !

I am waiting on Santa (post man) coming with my 1904 GEM G BAR JUINOUR LATHER CATCHER coming from the US....I have been informed it like the GEM G BAR....is very aggressive towards the hair bristle and smooth towards the skin.....

Greetings

I think what all the above posts highlight is that SE razors and indeed most razors are very much a YMMV thing, what suits you might not suit me and so on.

The good news is that there are so many different models that you would be very difficult indeed to please if you were unable to find at least a couple you liked.

For me personally there are are just two SE's that I own that I rarely use, one is the Streamline and the other a Contour II, the Streamline I find tricky and a bit angle sensitive and the Contour II is so super mild that when I use it I need endless touching up to get a good shave. The Contour, I find shaves me fine.

I also feel there is a small but significant difference between 1912 models (I own several) and even within the same model. USA GEM's for me are a gentler smoother shave as are USA made Treets. IMHO Brit. made Ever Ready 1912's give the roughest shaves of the 1912 family, but again we are all different and you may not agree.

My favourite SE is the GEM OCMM, in fact I consider it the best shaving safety razor I have ever used but I accept it's not to everyone's liking.

I think we have to remember when we claim that razor (a) is great and razor (b) is crap, that it is only our personal opinion, the only people whose opinions are wrong are those who claim they are right and all the others are wrong.

Regards
Dick

Norfolkdick said:
Greetings

I think what all the above posts highlight is that SE razors and indeed most razors are very much a YMMV thing, what suits you might not suit me and so on.

The good news is that there are so many different models that you would be very difficult indeed to please if you were unable to find at least a couple you liked.

For me personally there are are just two SE's that I own that I really use, one is the Streamline and the other a Contour II, the Streamline I find tricky and a bit angle sensitive and the Contour II is so super mild that when I use it I need endless touching up to get a good shave. The Contour, I find shaves me fine.

I also feel there is a small but significant difference between 1912 models (I own several) and even within the same model. USA GEM's for me are a gentler smoother shave as are USA made Treets. IMHO Brit. made Ever Ready 1912's give the roughest shaves of the 1912 family, but again we are all different and you may not agree.

My favourite SE is the GEM OCMM, in fact I consider it the best shaving safety razor I have ever used but I accept it's not to everyone's liking.

I think we have to remember when we claim that razor (a) is great and razor (b) is crap, that it is only our personal opinion, the only people whose opinions are wrong are those who claim they are right and all the others are wrong.

Regards
Dick
Hi Dick,
Agree with what you say about Razors being very much a YMMV thing.

Just finished today`s shave with a Streamline [ Gem S/S on 6 ], I like its weight which seems to do a lot of the work. To get a DF Shave, had as you say to subtly vary the angle - but had one of my best ever Shaves. No irritation/soreness .

Thanks to you i have started to use the MMOC, it is great and so easy to use. My plan for tomorrow is to use it with a Gem S/S [ on 6 too ],see how that pans out. Looks like I am starting to do a blade longevity test.

Mike

Norfolkdick said:
Greetings

For me personally there are are just two SE's that I own that I rarely use, one is the Streamline and the other a Contour II, the Streamline I find tricky and a bit angle sensitive and the Contour II is so super mild that when I use it I need endless touching up to get a good shave. The Contour, I find shaves me fine.

Regards
Dick

Yeah, agree with on that one ! Our experiences are all subjective and each to their own......I have heard a lot of people saying the Ever Ready 1912 is the Harshest of the 1912 family.....

Talking about 1912s //// I am waiting in a Gem Damaskeene 1912 coming from the USA.......looking forward to a shave with this auld piece of history !

Back
Top Bottom