Straight Vs DE

Well having been a straight shaver for many year's I only brought a DE razor as a travel piece. But just before Christmas a dear friend of mine gave me a senator open comb which has taken my world by storm.

I love this and my morning routine has stepped up a gear I now get super smooth shave each day not un-like with my straight but now with around 10 mins knocked off each shave as I am no long stropping before and after shaving.

At first I found the open comb quite aggressive but in trail and error with a number of different blades I have now settled with Treat blades, I have also noticed that soap's have more impact than they do with a straight.

I was shaving with a straight everyday I am now down to Sundays (well last Sunday I skipped) as I am not a person who keeps things that are no longer in use it has made me look deep inside my cabinet with wonder that how all of the little bits start to add up.

Like SE razors while yes I have one I like why I now have 3 it's beyond me and DE razors remember I got one for travel I now have 3 fatboy's (had 7 not so long back) a Futur (well errr 2) a Superspeed and around 3 techs and travel kits I have 2 but have only ever used 1.

So the burning question and I am sure a few of you have woke with the cold sweat of realization of what the hell.... Where did all this stuff come from??? And hummm now what do I do with it all :lol:

So to kid myself future I have now deluded myself into letting everything that's no longer in use to buy one other razor to go with my Senator. I take it this is what they call progression??? :D

I have a theory about this...I am beginning to think that when you put a bunch of razors together, or a stack of soaps in a box, and then leave them alone, they secretly start to breed, the next time you look there's more of them.

Mmmmm fatboys eh.
If you get rid of one....
I am new and I've already taken over the bathroom.
A new package seems to plop through the letter I'd each day!!
If I started straight shaving lord knows how much I'd collect!
Cheers
Tim

I tend to believe we acquire more and more due to the curiosity (and hence 'need') to sample.

You read here and there about scents, moisturizing properties, efficacy of cremes, balms, etc. and you say "whoo, I'd really like to know if this indeed feels like this..."

Same with razors. We hear good words on every single and different razor, and for a reasonable price on ebay or in the B/S/T it is worthwhile giving a new item a try.

Then the addiction comes, so the razors, cremes, soaps, etc. become more and more.

But this is life, if there would be no sampling and variation, things would be pretty boring on some occasions. :)

Parwin said:
Aye. It seems razors are very morish.
That's why I think you can't seem to pick straights up for cheap on ebay. I wonder how many people buy a straight for ridiculous money and then later decide they don't like it and put it in a drawer never to be seen again....

whisp said:
Parwin said:
Aye. It seems razors are very morish.
That's why I think you can't seem to pick straights up for cheap on ebay. I wonder how many people buy a straight for ridiculous money and then later decide they don't like it and put it in a drawer never to be seen again....

+1 Whisp.

I have had a few punts on the bay but the razors go for more than I am prepared to spend. Especially now you can buy a shave ready one from The Strop Shop for about the same.

+1 Whisp.

I have had a few punts on the bay but the razors go for more than I am prepared to spend. Especially now you can buy a shave ready one from The Strop Shop for about the same.
Got a few myself from ebay, not tried the strop-shop, i'll keep an eye out but I'm satisfied with my straights at the moment. Wouldn't mind some of the more unusual examples but I can wait for them!

Professor Blighty said:
I have a theory about this...I am beginning to think that when you put a bunch of razors together, or a stack of soaps in a box, and then leave them alone, they secretly start to breed, the next time you look there's more of them.

Bit like wire coat hangers then ?

JohnnyO. ;)

I have some good soaps and blades and some not-so-good soaps and blades. Sometimes I like to use, say, a Topaz* with Wilkinson Sword soap and a Weishi just to remind myself how much better even mediocre equipment can be.
:lol:
If that isn't a sign of someone with RAD I don't know what is!

* only one pass per side of a Topaz blade as they blunt themselves during the second pass I find. Imagine trying that for a few days then going on to a Super Thin! I have and it makes me appreciate the best of my kit even more.

Back
Top Bottom