Soap stick advice

Hi folks,

I'm planning to give soap sticks a go, the appeal being that I hope they'll be handy for certain times.

Tabac soap in the bowl works well for me so I'll be starting with their stick, then refills.

So what are the various ways to lather with this and which is your favourite?

Cheers :)

Mark

Hey Mark.

My routine goes like this:

- Usually shower, come out and leave face wet. If you don't shower, just make sure your face is dripping wet.

- Dip the end of the soap stick into water and rub on face so it's all covered with soap. I avoid my upper lip as sometimes it can be hard to lather that soap if you use a really big brush. Just keep dipping the stick in water if things feel too dry.

- once your face is covered in soap, what I do is load my brush using a fist bowl (grip the stick, making a fist and swirl the brush on top) I use my brush wet-ish. A soak and a pump is a minimum but if its something like a chubby, it's a soak, pump and squeeze otherways lather flys everywhere. This stage is optional IMO but it makes using a shave stick foolproof. You will have enough lather for sure. It's more of a way to prime with brush with soap rather than a full loading.

- after the brush is primed, face lather as usual.

Once you get used to using a stick, you won't need to prime as you know how much soap needs to be on your face for however many passes you do.

Hope that helps buddy.

I've never rubbed the stick on my face.

I always hold the brush up-side-down in my non-dominant hand and rub the stick on the brush and then face-lather.

Rubbing it on the face would use much, much more soap.

If you're using Palmolive, I find that chopping it up into bits and squishing into one of these:

https://www.lush.co.uk/product/344/Shampoo-Bar-Tin

Is the best way to make the most of them. Won't work with a monster brush though!

I can't walk past a LUSH shop - have to plan my route carefully.

It's like a punch in the face from Carl Froch holding a 15lb Airwick.

ChopperHarris said:
If you're using Palmolive, I find that chopping it up into bits and squishing into one of these:

https://www.lush.co.uk/product/344/Shampoo-Bar-Tin

Is the best way to make the most of them. Won't work with a monster brush though!

I grate Palmolive - 3 sticks in to a cheap plastic container (3 for 1.50 at Tesco). Use the other 2 containers to store my blades in.

This works really well and the container is big enough to really get the Omega Pro 48 brush round in and loaded easily. Sometime nice to add a drop of the cream in there as well for a super lather.

Griffo said:
I grate Palmolive - 3 sticks in to a cheap plastic container (3 for 1.50 at Tesco). Use the other 2 containers to store my blades in.

This works really well and the container is big enough to really get the Omega Pro 48 brush round in and loaded easily. Sometime nice to add a drop of the cream in there as well for a super lather.

That's a good plan too - I like the small Lush container purely because it then retains the portability of the stick, so is good as part of a travel set, but you're right - more in a bigger container is good for lathering.

If you subtract Vinny's method from Dipesh' method, you have what I do with a soap stick.

I run it ATG on my neck and cheeks, then go to work on my face with a wet brush. I find that this gives enough for 3+ passes.

I have never tried Dipesh' method, but given mine produces loads of lather I would assume Dipesh' method produces either lather for a small regiment, or very dry lather (perhaps for a small regiment).

mstrunck said:
If you subtract Vinny's method from Dipesh' method, you have what I do with a soap stick.

I run it ATG on my neck and cheeks, then go to work on my face with a wet brush. I find that this gives enough for 3+ passes.

I have never tried Dipesh' method, but given mine produces loads of lather I would assume Dipesh' method produces either lather for a small regiment, or very dry lather (perhaps for a small regiment).

Your right Max, it does produce a lot. It makes using a stick fool proof! Once you become used to lathering a stick, you can tweak that method.

I've never had a problem with dry lather, if that's the case, just dip the tips in water and add more to the mix on your face.

It's quite a fun method to experiment with.

A little hint - if you're using a synthetic brush, you'll get much more lather from the same quantity of soap. Works very well for face lathering, in fact better than with a badger (for myself at least).

Back
Top Bottom