Sledging

Where do we draw the line on sledging in sport? It is the accepted culture in cricket.

But it's not OK to tell an opponent to to prepare to have his fucking arm broken - 20% match fee deduction.

Wonder what would get a 100% deduction?

Cricketers and other so called sportsmen should start to take a long hard look at themselves.

And spare a thought for Jonathan Trott as he flies home.

A bit of banter is fine but aggressive and threats of aggression are out of order. Same with the supporters. As we know Fido with the Southampton / Portsmouth rivalry, banter is fun but when you have idiots on both sides just all out for a fight. Just lock them both up and throw away the key.

Bollox to that you %*$£$%£%£$%£!!!!!

Banter, sledging, abuse has gone on in professional sport since time immemorial because quite frankly it can work.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I7-KEa99Fw[/video]

It's a fascinating subject.

Some sports turn a blind eye. Others will not accept what is considered inappropriate conduct. There's a fine line between banter and abuse/bullying. Personally, I preferred to win by focusing on my own performance rather than wasting energy on upsetting my opponents.

At a professional level sportsman will do what it takes to gain the little advantage it takes to win a contest, it's difficult for the amateur who plays sport for fun to really appreciate that.

Some do, some don't. Remember Jack Nicklaus conceding the putt to Tony Jacklin in the Ryder Cup? I doubt it would be done now. It's not just professional sport. It's modern sport at all levels. And the kids are worst of all. In table tennis it was evident up to and inluding the Premier leagues in Bournemouth and Southamoton. And teenage cricketers just copy the antics they now see on TV. Anything goes. It's modern life and fact. I'm glad I'm not part of it now.

Broad's refusal to walk in this year's home ashes series is another example Peter. Hiding behind the statement that modern cricketers never walk is merely self justification of an unjustifiable action. These people have no right to criticise umpires if they do not attempt to help them when they can.

Well, thank goodness I'm a rugby uunion man where this sort of behaviour never, ever goes on - just unacceptable. The Ref is called 'Sir' and the players all respect each other, especially front row forwards. A gentlemans' game played by gentlemen, every one!

Bechet45 said:
Well, thank goodness I'm a rugby uunion man where this sort of behaviour never, ever goes on - just unacceptable. The Ref is called 'Sir' and the players all respect each other, especially front row forwards. A gentlemans' game played by gentlemen, every one!

Apart from the punch ups, stamping, sendings off, sin bins and the like......:angel:

Bechet45 said:

Carl, Union is my sport too and I do sincerely believe that the standards we have are pretty much as good as it gets in Professional sport, but let's not kid ourselves that we are perfect. The bloodgate incident was an embarrassment and although I felt for Dean Richards (Quins were not the only miscreants, surely) I thought it was a suitable punishment and one that other sports would do well to look at. When I played all manner of what is referred to as sledging went on, especially in the front five.

On the subject of sledging the best way of countering it is to ignore it, take some wickets or score some runs or come up with a witty put down. A fine example of the last type was provided by, I think, Jimmy Ormerod, a decent county player who found himself playing for England vs Australia and was subjected to some pretty aggressive sledging from Mark Waugh. Jimmy's response was to say "I might not be much good, but at least I'm the best cricketer in my family". Cue laughter from umpires, non-striking batsman and close fielders.

Touché

Jon

This behaviour is now evident in squash, where up to fairly recently it was only occasionally seen at the top professional level and then only rarely. I was playing in an international match in Cardiff earlier in the year and saw some progressive juniors displaying attitude and gamesmanship that would make John McEnroe blush.It's seems to be endemic in all sports now.

Bechet45 said:

I love watching the ref'ing in Union.

"You! Stand here. Stop! You back up ... Ready ... Play" ... more a Director than a referee, whose rule is absolute and the game plays out well.

In fencing, the referee is similarly respected. He conducts the game and his decision is absolute and final. Yes, in FIE matches you can ask the DT for a computer recorded slow motion replay, but you only get two. The referee may or may not like dirty talk on his piste and has the power to deal with you accordingly, even eject a fencer from the tournament for "unsportsmanly conduct" ... but it's his (or her) interpretation of the situation.

... but yeah, Union would only be truly gentlemanly if when those fights break out, those gents played Queensbury rules.

Rugby is one of the few sports where you can truly do the talking on the pitch and without opening your mouth. There are lots out there that do it though, but me? I prefered to keep quiet, listen to the jibes and insults, and then do my best to nail the fekker next time he came near me with the ball, all legitimately of course (honest)
Sledging is all part of the game, but it's more about where the line is drawn. Insults to your oposition are fine, but outside that is a big NO,

Clarke went just that one step too far, threatening someone with a broken arm is a minor criminal act off the pitch so what makes him think it's okay on a sports field just because he's been sledged before? What example is he setting?
I'd have expected it from Ponting but for some reason I've given Clarke more credit up til now.

Really poor Captaincy.

Canuck said:
Clarke went just that one step too far, threatening someone with a broken arm is a minor criminal act off the pitch so what makes him think it's okay on a sports field just because he's been sledged before? What example is he setting?
I'd have expected it from Ponting but for some reason I've given Clarke more credit up til now.

Really poor Captaincy.

Totally agree, banter, insults etc fine but that was rather far over the line IMO

Really hope they turn it around and give me a good stuffing in the next test(s)

Back
Top Bottom