Sky Fibre Broadband

RE: Sky Fiber Broadband

Bechet45 said:
Golden Rules of Life - No. 1: Do not go to BT for anything whatsoever and especially not for broadband. (Hm! but Sky send a BT Engineer to fit a new face plate! Note to self: expect difficulties 2nd. November.)

That'll be because Sky are using BT Openreach's wholesale fibre product...

Totally agree with your take on BT and found this rather hilarious...

I stopped using BT years ago. Been on cable as soon as it became available in my area about 10 years ago.

just done about a dozen speed checks which give me readings for download speeds of between 6.8 to 9.78 mb and an upload of 1-1.02mb.

I have the option of winding up the speed to around 40mb but is it worth it because if a website is busy getting lots of traffic it will run slow until the capacity is increased so paying extra at the moment I feel is a bit of a waste for me. The speed my connection runs at I have no problems watching HD youtube clips in full screen mode without constant buffering.

Dave, you're quite right. Something to think about is the speed limit on a traffic congested road, it doesn't matter if it's 30, 40, 60 or 70 if you can't get past 15 because of the traffic.

You might see a bit better performance streaming things like iplayer, but not a great deal really.

Aye, its a good marketing ploy. Tell people somethings faster the natural response is that they need it. But I bet most people use the internet for are looking at ebay, sending emails, 'doing' facebook, watching poor quality grainy clips on youtube. Certainly there are people that do use the full download speed, but I bet its a very small percentage of their use that needs that speed.
I'm happy with my 'normal' BB for now. And the fact that I can supposedly have fibre for the same price is what appeals (slightly) to me.

Providing I don't have a large download, copper BB is fine all day long until 3.30pm and up to 9pm when the little darlings go to bed. £2 pm is an attempt to improve service 24/7 - and it's legal.

I've just had my Fibre Broadband installed this morning, thats 30 times faster than I was getting on ADSL.

Heres my speedtest

2251810638.png
[/URL]

Back
Top Bottom