Skin Food - Revised Opinion

Not posted here for ages; manic workload and 14mo daughter have seen to that!

Anyway, I've always been very unimpressed with Trumpers Skin Food, having tried the Sandalwood and Limes varieties previously. They always left my skin dry, sticky and not refreshed.

However I got myself some Coral skin food on a whim - much better!

The lady at Trumpers explained that Limes is designed to dry out oily skin, and whilst Sandalwood is the 'mid-range' product, Coral would be best for my sensitive skin. She was certainly right. I leave my face damp after the shave and then apply a tiny amount of Coral. It does a great job of gently soothing razor burn and leaves my skin feeling smooth and tight, but not sticky. Also, it is one of the few aftershave products that don't sting my skin.

£22 for a year's supply is not bad either. All-in-all, great stuff! Definitely worth a try if you have sensitive skin or found the other skin foods didn't suit you.

One caveat: apparently it only has a 12 month shelf-life, so you may want to get the 100ml or 200ml bottles rather than the 500ml one.

Drroly said:
One caveat: apparently it only has a 12 month shelf-life, so you may want to get the 100ml or 200ml bottles rather than the 500ml one.

I'd take that little gem of advice with a pinch of salt.

joe mcclaine said:
Drroly said:

+1 if anything I have found age makes it slightly better. I bought mine over a year ago and I know plenty on here love this stuff, but I wouldn't buy it again. It's that stickiness and the scent that puts me off. It's only how much it cost that has prevented me swishing it down the sink.

I agree that Coral isn't the best of smells - however it's very fleeting.

Regarding the other two versions, I didn't realize they were intended for different skin types and, having used all three, it never appeared to me that there is a great deal of difference.

Maybe this is a bit of marketing bullshine as well.

Northam Saint said:
joe mcclaine said:
Drroly said:

+1 if anything I have found age makes it slightly better. I bought mine over a year ago and I know plenty on here love this stuff, but I wouldn't buy it again. It's that stickiness and the scent that puts me off. It's only how much it cost that has prevented me swishing it down the sink.
I've been using the Limes one for about 10 months, luckily I never have a problem with stickiness. As for the scent, I find it disappears after about 2 minutes, well the lime one does anyway, so you can add whatever balm or moisturiser on top if you need to.

I first used Coral back in 2005-6. I had been using it as my only after shave product for a good couple of years, but then moved away from Trumper's products as I started to get more and more into the overall hobby, buying and so on. My skin is very sensitive and dry. People often made the comments back then as to how good my face looked after I took on the straight razor/soap/skin food route. So I owe a lot to Trumper's Rose soap & Coral Skin Food.

Right now, I have a little of the product left lying around. The scent of the Coral Skin Food is still superb and pairs well with colognes like Creed Aventus and Chanel's Egoiste. However, it doesn't feel very moisturising. So I do need to apply some cream after it to soothe the skin. This is especially the case in the winter months.

As such a unique product that it is, I have found it works great on spots, cuts, grazes and so on. So I have used it not just on my face but on other areas where my skin may have been damaged.

UKRob said:
I agree that Coral isn't the best of smells - however it's very fleeting.

Regarding the other two versions, I didn't realize they were intended for different skin types and, having used all three, it never appeared to me that there is a great deal of difference.

Maybe this is a bit of marketing bullshine as well.

I would normally agree as there's a lot of marketing bs about. However, Coral has a different set of ingredients from the other two. For example, the Coral contains menthol, whereas Sandalwood does not.

Perhaps the differences only stand out with certain skin types e.g. my experience is that Limes will dry out my already dry skin whilst Coral leaves it feeling soothed (and not dry).

I also have very sensitive skin and coral skin food is excellent, I also love the scent. I find that this, combined with Penhaligon's English Fern works great for me and I'm always getting compliments.

I've been working m way through both Limes and Coral for two years now, and didnt' know they were were different skin types. I prefer Coral, seems a little thicker to me, absorbs a tad quicker, but both are good.

The scent on both disappears within moments of application in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom