Simpsons Major Travel Brush

[attachment=0]

After much deliberation and even getting a pill bottle from my local pharmacy to make a good travel brush container I decided buy a dedicated travel brush. I didn’t own a Simpsons brush which I thought was a crime so decided to go nuts and bought a Simpsons Major in super. I bought this brush from Diamond Edge and while they don’t carry this one in stock I still had it delivered inside a few days, excellent service. Best of all I got a 10% discount. Even with that discount it is not a cheap brush but I thought I deserved it.

Initial impressions after unwrapping it are mixed, it oozes quality but you unscrew the brush and drop it out of the open bottom and if, like me you are not used to small brushes you look at it in your hand and think “is that it?” I really doubted that this small thing would hold enough lather for one pass let alone more. However it was clear even before I soaked it that this is a very densely packed brush and a bit of a wolf on sheep’s clothing. It is really soft badger hair but the sheer density of it gives it some backbone.

I made a lather mix last night in a bowl using the brush but didn’t use it to shave with. I generally do this with every new brush just to get rid of any residual smell, but I have to say with this brush it probably was not necessary as it did not stink at all. I found lathering in a bowl easy either with it attached or not attached to the handle. It would depend on the bowl in use and your personal preference.

This morning I left the brush soaking for a good five minutes while I had a shower. I then used an Irisch Moos shave stick and then went to work with this diminutive brush. In use I was surprised, it is a good face lathering brush and I found the compact nature of the brush made it easy to deposit the lather exactly where you want it. Lathering the top lip and also my side areas was a precise affair with soap going only where I wanted it, it is really quite surprisingly easy to get used to using this little brush.

Putting it together and taking it apart is a pleasure in itself (yes I am that sad). The precision in the lathing of the screw and threads are wonderful, not a slight bit of play in the threading, screw it half way in and give it a shake or try to move the head and there is no wobble in the threads at all. The outer case seems excessively thick so there is no space saving on a normal brush and pill bottle solution, if you want a space saver look elsewhere. For me this contributes to the appeal of it, when put in packed for travel mode the set is absolutely solid.

Overall is it worth the money? Probably not, but is any indulgence product “worth it”. If you want it and are prepared to pay the asking price then it is worth it to you. If you don’t want to spend as much money I think there are other suitable travel brushes that are lighter smaller and cheaper but I now own a Simpsons and it is proudly sitting on my counter. I would happily use this brush in my regular rotation and can see me still using this when I do get back from my holidays rather than packing it away till next year.

Having inspected and tried it would I buy it again? I would indeed.

Attachments

• Simpsons Major.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 254
Back
Top Bottom