Simpson Commodore X1

[attachment=0]

I got this brush last week from Paul's nice shop in the Netherlands.

(picture is the slightly larger X2, looks exactly the same as my x1)

Price: 46 euro

Specs I found on the net:

knot: 20mm
loft: 46mm (if correct this would mean a loft about 1mm shorter than a chubby 1)
handle: 44mm

Clearly, these specs must belong to the Somerset Commodore X1's, as my brush's loft is clearly several mm longer than that of my CH1 best. As a result, the X1 is softer (and also less dense) than a chubby or a Rooney size 1. So, as could be expected, you don't get a chubby style brush for half the price. Yet my Commodore has not bloomed much since first use, the knot remains quite compact. This firmness is further contributed to by the bristle type used: a slightly (but only slightly) coarser best grade hair, at least coarser than the higher end Simpfix bests. The feel on the face reminds me of a smaller and less dense Persian Jar 2 (21mm so very close) or even - brush maniacs, please pardon the blasphemy - a medium sized Rooney in finest, costing many times as much...

Quality is everything you'd expect from a Simpson: this brush does not in any way give me the feeling I'm using some second rate or cheapish product. In fact, It hasn't lost a single hair yet. The handle is flawless with a perfect engraving and properly attached label. In the Somerset days of yore, Simpson used a best grade on these lower end brushes which was very close to a pure badger, so a prickly and scritchy affair. The Simpfixes are clearly an upgrade.

Performance: It's a small brush, 20mm won't build a mountain of lather like some of the monster brushes of 25mm and up. That said, my brave little Commodore lathers both soaps and creams with impunity. The medium dense knot makes soap loading very easy and has enough flow-through to lather up easily. It is best suited to face lathering IMO, as building lather in a bowl will take some time with such a small knot. The handle is small as well. If a CH1 handle is too small for your Gargantuan paws, this brush is not for you. For me, it works just fine, maybe not for everyday use, but not unpractical by any means.

Conclusion: a very nice and affordable smaller Simpson, highly recommended to face lathering soap & cream users, especially to shavers who want one affordable Simpson brush or those simply looking for a high-end travel brush to complete their brush stable. For me, the Commodore will become the latter, as the X1's limited bloom makes for easy packing in the washing bag.

Attachments

• simspon_x2_best__48067.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 598
Good review, and this coupled to a nice hands on today led to me buying one too. I liked that it was quite small and still fairly soft. I handled quite a few brushes and most of the larger knots felt way too soft for me. This may be because I've only been using a fairly stiff cheap brush so far but the commodore seems like a good first step into the big leagues. Quality of mine isn't perfect, a couple of very minor nicks in the handle and a small amount of glue in the bristles, but overall I'm very happy with it so far. I'll update as I start using it, so far I've only had a quick trial lathering to help get the breaking in period started and to see how it did with a hard soap - very well. Capable of making good lather in a bowl, but as soon as I put it to my face (I couldn't resist) it exploded with lather - so much that it was flying off the brush. This may take some getting used to.

Couple of pics, showing the size compared to the relatively common Men-U (which I got from Boots) and a closer shot.

cmd1.jpg

comm_sm2.jpg

Loving this brush, had a couple of trial lathers last night and got my best ever results in a bowl just before turning in for the night, I couldn't believe the amount of lather this little brush can produce from just a couple of swirls on a puck. Definitely a cut about the Men-U, and it feels really nice on the face.

Back
Top Bottom