Sherry Drinkers

Hello,

I have recently got into sherry, so far I have only tried Harvey's Bristol Cream which is really nice.

I'm looking for good sherry recommendations.

Thanks.

I don't drink any more but when I did oh man. Harvey's Brutal Cream we called that stuff.
It's like drinking 17% Vimto. Funny how so much fuss was made of so called 'alco-pops'
when Sherry, Port, and all sorts of fortified wines have been around forever.

No cirticism here mate. Just that your post brought back memories from a life time ago.
It's a nice drink in moderation.

One I like is La Gitana ... it tastes a bit like petrol, but with the right food it's just perfect. Downed with a big bowl of mussels, steamed in the stuff, or a good bowl of paella, again, rabbit marinated and seafood soused in the stuff, lovely!

It's not a sherry but comes from the same stable of fortified wines, Pellegrino Marsala Superiore (dolce) can be had in most supermarkets for around a tenner.

I always like to have an Amontillado in the house - it's a lot drier than the Cream sherries, but I think is a great aperitif before Sunday lunch! At special occasions, we also get a Pedro Ximenez in to have instead of a pudding wine. It's like Christmas pudding in a glass and is very popular with my wife!

My wife likes the drier ones, Croft Particular. You may find the Croft Original, which is
sweeter to your liking.
I can be tempted to a port, with my cheese-after meal at home ,with guests.

I enjoy a Tio Pepe (or two!) preferably chilled but I'll cope. I tend to favour the drier end of booze so many sherries are a little too sweet for me.
A good dry Amontillado is nice for a change but a dry as you can get Oloroso is just peachy.

No recommendations for the latter two as it's not something I buy with regularity.
A good dry White Port to keep on the same theme is the Neipoort Rabbit - spiffing chilled or in a highball glass over ice and topped up with tonic; which works quite well for some of the above.

I spent a number of years working in the wine trade but could never get my head around sherry despite trying some very expensive ones. To me it just tastes like oxidised wine - which to some extent is exactly what it is. Maybe with my more mature palate, I have acquired a taste for it. I may have to have another dabble.
Good luck in your search

Back
Top Bottom