_12_zpsahahy1pe.jpg
[/URL][/img]
Another picture!
_11_zpswzf0doge.jpg
[/URL][/img]
And another !
_14_zpstlzcxbl1.jpg
[/URL][/img]

This week my Gem 1912 Closed Comb Damaskeene arrived. It has the 1912 patent, as does the New Improved 1912 and looks very similar, but somehow, more aesthetically pleasing to the eye and it also feels very different in my hand......:huh:

I had no expectations that the Damaskeene would shave any different than a modern 1912, although some people have said, that they prefer it, and that it's a more aggressive and a smoother shaver.......:icon_rolleyes:

Well, boy, was I in for a surprise....:icon_cry2:...It was like shaving with a different animal compared to the New Improved 1912s..... On the first cut the razor informed me that is was very aggressive and unforgiving, but at the same time being a very smooth close shaver......

I instantly felt the characteristics of the Closed Comb Damaskeene, and I instantly knew that this was going to be a different shaving experience!

How did I get on with the Damaskeene ? :huh:

I loaded a brand new GEM stainless blade and it performed beautifully...... A new blade in a modern 1912 can be a tad harsh for the first couple of shaves.....I did not find that replication in the Damaskeene....... The cast steel handle offers, an easy light balanced grip compared to other 1912's, and the open comb is longer, and closer to the face and set further below the blade allowing a bigger blade gap between the comb and the blade......

This makes this razor a pretty ferocious cutting tool, but unlike other 1912's, in my experience, it offers the paradoxical feel of a really smooth mild shaver........:idea:

The razor in some ways feels similar to the modern 1912's, but the shaving angle feels a tad better, probably due to the steeper angle at which the head is set and the lower comb positioning......This is a razor that demands good technique and a high level of creativity......

For me there is lot more audible feedback with the Damaskeene while you shave, but here's the paradox with this razor.......:angel:

It doesn't feel anything like it sounds..... This razor feels really mild and it's mildness does not mean the need for more passes...... This is definitely an efficient three pass BBS shaving tool.....but here's another paradox..... For me, it feels less forgiving and decidedly more dangerous than a modern 1912.......

To my surprize then......:blush:

There is no razor snobbery elite thing going on with those that have been bestowed the honour of owning a Damaskeene......

In my humble opinion, there's a good reason why that the Damaskeene is held in high esteem in the Single edge shaving world.......As the inventor, Mikhail Kalashnikov, once said of the AK 47.....

It's really that good ! :angel:

Interesting. I found exactly the opposite. My Damaskeene feels smoother, safer and easier to use than my (English ER) 1912's. Having said that I haven't found the difference to be all that much, despite with Damaskeene's reputation.
I have a feeling that individual examples of the same model may vary somewhat which might explain the differences people experience.
I can't really rate any of my SE's one above the other - to me they just shave slightly differently and I like them all the same for different reasons.

Greetings

They are both interesting observations, I think what we can all agree on is that the standard Damaskeene (the model in question) shaves a little differently to other 1912's.

I think there is a lot of truth in Mike's point about a variation between examples of the same model, I think this is especially true of the early model SE's and I suppose that makes sense, they are hardly precision made instruments and were coming of the production line at a fair rate of knots. I tend to suspect the quality control was not as good as Gillettes.

For me the closed comb Damaskeene, at least mine, shaves a lot smoother and nicer then any of my Brit, Ever Ready 1912's but only very marginally better than my US Gem Treet and Star 1912's but this is of course just my opinion and I have no more right to be correct than the next man.

Regards
Dick.

Reading this post back I think what I have failed to make clear is that I personally find the aggression level of all 1912's to be much the same. Some however give a kinder and smoother, more friendly shave if you like and the Damaskeene (together with the GEM Junior and the Treet) are the 'friendliest' shavers in my opinion.

Norfolkdick said:
Greetings

They are both interesting observations, I think what we can all agree on is that the standard Damaskeene (the model in question) shaves a little differently to other 1912's.

I think there is a lot of truth in Mike's point about a variation between examples of the same model, I think this is especially true of the early model SE's and I suppose that makes sense, they are hardly precision made instruments and were coming of the production line at a fair rate of knots. I tend to suspect the quality control was not as good as Gillettes.

For me the closed comb Damaskeene, at least mine, shaves a lot smoother and nicer then any of my Brit, Ever Ready 1912's but only very marginally better than my US Gem Treet and Star 1912's but this is of course just my opinion and I have no more right to be correct than the next man.

Regards
Dick.

Reading this post back I think what I have failed to make clear is that I personally find the aggression level of all 1912's to be much the same. Some however give a kinder and smoother, more friendly shave if you like and the Damaskeene (together with the GEM Junior and the Treet) are the 'friendliest' shavers in my opinion.

I have never shaved with an American made 1912.......I own two Limey 1912s and they both shave with similar characteristic's.......I have an American made 1924 shovel head and I am seriously impressed with it as well as other GEM models.........Thus far, I personally prefer,all of the American GEM models, as I too think they are the 'friendliest' shavers.....

Yeah, mass production manufacturing tolerances during these times were far wider and looser than they are today with cutting edge computer/engineering methods ......

King Gillette was amazed at the quality and the simplicity of a mass produced throw away bottle top when he was a sales man........:icon_rolleyes:

Gillette did move onto towards utilizing more modern production methods during this time to produce one or two razor handles which were simple in design with no moving parts for nearly thirty years and use new thin metal sheeting production methods for their blades.......

I have been a British motorcycle enthusiast for most of my life and have been involved in buying selling and restoring them.......:icon_cry2:.

The differences in the same model of a motorcycle coming off the production line during line even in the post war years was astounding........As late as the 1970s the differences in the characteristics of the same model of bike was so apparent that is was a lottery to win a bike that run as well as they were intended as most of them were mediocre ..........

The same probably applies to the same models of razors having varying characteristics during this era.......Every now and then a really good one will turn up and sing like a canary.....

Maybe I've just got a good un ! :angel:

Billy

Post shave experience and after thoughts on the Damaskeene.......

My post shave experience with the Damaskeene was interesting......

I have quite a heavy thick growth that is quite common to see in Italy or the Mediterranean.......In the summer I get quite often asked if I am enjoying my holiday in Scotland.........:mad:

My two day post growth was unusually very thick and stubbly........
Not sure if I am comfortable with that......MMMMMmmmmm

Time will tell.......:huh:

Fergiebilly said:
Post shave experience and after thoughts on the Damaskeene.......

My post shave experience with the Damaskeene was interesting......

I have quite a heavy thick growth that is quite common to see in Italy or the Mediterranean.......In the summer I get quite often asked if I am enjoying my holiday in Scotland.........:mad:

My two day post growth was unusually very thick and stubbly........
Not sure if I am comfortable with that......MMMMMmmmmm

Time will tell.......:huh:

Don't know if any body has any thoughts on different post shave experiences with different razors..... :huh:

Back
Top Bottom