Shapton glass 30k

Yes I have one, but I've only used it a few times. On very old Sheffield razors I don't rate it, it seems to make the edge too harsh (unless it's my honing). Where as the 16k with a bit of slurry produces a stunningly smooth edge. The 30k was ok on my new kamisori, but that's all I use it for now. Interesting to see how you get on with yours.
I'm overdue to hone most of my 'daily' straights, so I'll give the 30k another try on a couple of them.

Thanks, I got it as a refresher, hoping a few strokes on it will bring a edge back to super sharp, interesting about the old sheffields, I will be looking out for that.
Some time ago I bought diamond spray for a felt bench strop, the edge was very harsh....on all razors, so just went back to crox.

Thanks, I got it as a refresher, hoping a few strokes on it will bring a edge back to super sharp, interesting about the old sheffields, I will be looking out for that.
Some time ago I bought diamond spray for a felt bench strop, the edge was very harsh....on all razors, so just went back to crox.

just out of curiosity, when you say harsh blade, how would you describe that because in my mind it's either sharp or dull so I'm guessing harsh would be not quite sharp enough? LOL I'm not the sharpest razor in the drawer

Back
Top Bottom